Michael Stanley Band ~ Right Back At Ya

Sweet Jane 61

I bet most of you have not heard of MSB. They are from Cleveland, Ohio and have been around since the 70's. If you are from PA you may have heard them or seen them. They hit it big in 1981 with a top 40 tune "He Can't Love You". The band has since broke up but Michael Stanley still continues to play.

Ok about the album. It is basically their hits ranging from '71 to '83. MSB has a great sound. They were like the poor man's Burce Springsteen. The songs talked about life in Cleveland and of course the pain of love. Michael Stanley and band member Jonah Koslen writing most of the songs for the band. Each song on this album I feel tells you exactly what MSB is all about.

The first cut "Rosewood Bitter's" is an easy feeling tune with good lyrics. Joe Walsh is doing lead guitar and vocals and Todd Rundgren is also a guest on this tune.

"Let's Get The Show On The Road" is another favorite of mine. Once again Joe Walsh appears and David Sanborn on Alto Sax. And with many MSB tunes you get horns. This song is one that they lyrics and music just get you.

"Why Should Love Be This Way" ok you have to have a cut that just brings on the tears and this one will be it. Outstanding lyrics and music. Clive Davis did the final mix of the song and Mutt Lange produced it. It was the one MSB thought would put them out there, why it didn't I don't get.

"Lover" the song that was getting major airplay from stations here in Ohio and PA. Clarence Clemons playing Tenor Sax on this cut. Top tune.

"My Town" became like an anthem around here from MSB. This is still played on stations here in Ohio. It is one you just crank up and jam. It has the feel of Bruce Springsteen all over it.

I do think some SF's may like MSB. They have a unique sound and can rock out. Check them out, I will be interested to hear comments.

Link

CeeCee...that is just cool! I am listening the album right now. Rosewood Bitters has great lyrics. I have to say I don't listen to Why Should Love Be This Way here at work, it brings tears every time I hear it, never fails. Sometimes on Fridays here at the station I will play My Town on my lunch show! Yeah!

Janie girl, the album has a fitting title, huh? We are the only ones that know them, I think. You know what you've gone and done don't you? I want the album again. I don't have it anymore. }:(

Another one on the list. I'm trying one at a time to put my music back together! ;)