Songs everybody likes?

Mike

Quiet Riot - Cum on Feel The Noise (Still haven't head Slade version but I love other Slade songs)

The Doors- Light My Fire

Dereck and the Dominoes - Layla

Rolling Stones - Brown Sugar

Layla is definitely not a song that "everybody likes". If anything it's one of those songs that "polarizes opinion"...

I've nothing against "Brown Sugar" personally, though I've managed to reach 41 without ever dancing to it...the lyric might not be to everybody's taste, being about anything from heroin to having intercourse with black girls, depending upon whose interpretation you believe...

I love Slade, too. But I believe they also polarised opinion in their heyday, and were not universally loved. All the fey, poetic and pretentious types that were into Bolan looked down their noses disdainfully at Slade, whose previous incarnation as skinhead boot-boys marked them down as oikish proles. Some parents chastised their atrocious spelling too....I've never heard Quiet Riot's version of "Cum On Feel The Noize", but I can't see it eclipsing Slade's. (nor even One Way System's "street-punk" rendition of the song, to which the nation remained blissfully oblivious.)

I know people who absolutely loathe The Doors...(though I'm not one of them: I'm neither one way nor the other). "Light My Fire"'s been butchered so many times over the years, hasn't it? (By me, in the shower... :blush: )

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or, indeed, "ONE STEP BEYOND!"

You'd have to be pretty miserable not to like that, eh?

Well, not really... ;) Actually, I have been surrounded by Madness fans for the last twenty five years so I guess it´s easy to understand I don´t really love their songs... :P

They´re just "funny" for me...

Well, not really... ;) Actually, I have been surrounded by Madness fans for the last twenty five years so I guess it´s easy to understand I don´t really love their songs... :P

They´re just "funny" for me...

Edna, are you trying to tell me you don't like Madness??! :o What a sourpuss ;) ! (And there was I thinking you were such a cheery, fun-loving sort...)

Nah, I like them... it´s just that one way or another, I don´t seem to be able to spend one single day without listening to "My House", "One Step Beyond", etc... There are big Madness fans at home, you know... :P

I like a lot Gruppo Sportivo and their famous "10 Mistakes", for instance... but if I was to listen to that album every day I might hate it...

That song used to be one of those "funny" things in our family. My son (5-ish? 6-ish?) keyed into that sticky refrain, and would always "Hey Daaaaad?" "What?" ......." "I get knocked down, but I get up agian, and your never gonna keep me down". To which I would pretend fury dissolving into some kind of death and Korey would giggle his little rear off. Still a bad song, though.

Ken.

Edited by Guest

• 3 weeks later...

I think that Sweet Home Alabama is just a rednecks anthem and no one but someone from Alabama should sing it (and no, I'm not badmouthing anyone). Sorry, but I can't stand it.

I know some people who detest that song...

Not me, though :)