8. Rebel Yell - Billy Idol

9. Seven Spanish Angels - Willie Nelson & Ray Charles

10. Something In The Air - Thunderclap Newman

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tool is brilliant - not metal though :)

New CD should be good, I haven't seen the cover yet!

i'm not very good with definitions of genres, but i think tool are quite heavy, hence i labelled them as metal. i have heard people calling them math metal too, whatever that is

1-Tears In Heaven - Eric Clapton

2-She's Gone - Hall and Oates

3-Can't Get it Out of My Head - ELO

4-Fire And Rain - James Taylor

5-They Won't Go When I Go - Stevie Wonder

6-Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix

7-Must Of Got Lost - J. Geils Band

8-Pride And Joy - Stevie Ray Vaughan

9-Heart Full of Soul - The Yardbirds

10-It Makes No Difference - The Band

Old 55, this is getting harder each time!! I may need a top 15...I hate leaving artists out!! :P Can't wait to see the finals from these nominations. :)

1. Going to California - Led Zeppelin

2. Heart Full of Soul - The Yardbirds

3. Gimme Some Lovin' - Spencer Davis Group

4. My Generation - The Who

5. Losing My Religion - R.E.M.

6. Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix

7. Something In The Air - Thunderclap Newman

8. Crash Into Me - Dave Matthews Band

9. Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison

10. Pride And Joy - Stevie Ray Vaughan

The new tool, by the by, is a bit disappointing.. IMHO. :)

7. Pride & Joy - SRV (See how low I had to put my wedding song!!!)

Gee Jenny - that could be grounds for divorce ! ;)

A lady sang Ave Maria at our Wedding, nearly 37 years ago. I forget what song we had for the Bridal Waltz - don't tell my Wife.

And because my heart is breaking from excluding so many wonderful songs, here are my 11-20 (Sweet Darryl, ignore these. This is for my peace of mind, not to make you go crazy! :grin:).

11] Whole Lotta Rosie - AC/DC

12] Rainy Night In Georgia - Brook Benton

13] Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison

14] Gimme Some Lovin' - Spencer Davis Group

15] Rebel Yell - Billy Idol

16] I Love You - Climax Blues Band

17] My Generation - The Who

18] My Way - Frank Sinatra

19] Nights In White Satin - The Moody Blues

20] Purple Haze - Jim Hendrix

Sweet Peaches, I was working my way backwards from the most recent post, and I saw these and thought "there's a good Top Ten - except for AC/DC" (with apologies to whoever nominated it; I don't think I even know it), then I saw the rest. I would have been quite happy for my 11-20 to be my Top Ten !

Your quotation has come out a little strange. It must be in Moderator Language. We know you would only use moderate language of course.

:)

Old 55, this is getting harder each time!! I may need a top 15...I hate leaving artists out!! :P Can't wait to see the finals from these nominations. :)

Me too Sweet Jane. One song did have a bit of a gap on the rest, but it didn't receive too much support 'overnight'. It's going to be a VERY interesting Top Ten again.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR PARTICIPATING IN OUR TOP TEN !!!

:coolio:

Angel, you didn't see these guys there did you ? :)

animal

Brad

Kevin

Still to vote.

We'll put the Top Ten on around this time tomorrow.

I can't concentrate right now, Darryl.

My apologies for having to pass this round.

O.K. Brad. Hope things improve for you.

We are currently celebrating here in Australia because our two trapped Miners have finally been rescued. Sadly one other was killed in the rock fall and his funeral is today, may he rest in peace.

Late again , eh ? :crazy:

#1 : Cracklin' Rosie

#2 : Hey 19

#3 : Seven Spanish Angels

#4 : Promised Land

#5 : Train In Vain

#6 : Going To California

#7 : All Right Now

#8 : Rainy Night In Georgia

#9 : She's Gone

#10 : Rebel Yell

O.K. Brad. Hope things improve for you.

We are currently celebrating here in Australia because our two trapped Miners have finally been rescued. Sadly one other was killed in the rock fall and his funeral is today, may he rest in peace.

That is the BEST news of the week! I was glued to the tv this morning, I am so glad that they made it out!! It was very sad for the other miner, it is such a shame that the situation had to be the way it is.

Oh, and I nominated Whole Lotta Rosie by AC/DC Darryl!!

WHOOPS. Foot in mouth. :P I don't know it Katie, sorry ! That's not as bad as what I said to Peaches though - that I like her 11 -20 songs better than her Top Ten. I sure as heck don't know that Stevie Wonder song, and I thought I was a fan of his.

Yes, while we are happy for the 2 surviving Miners and their Families, we feel sorrow for Larry Knight's Family.

My son-in-law used to work in an underground gold mine in the Northern Territory. We were pleased when the Doctor told him he could only work in open - cut above ground mines because of his eyesight. That's the reason you don't see many Miners with glasses.

Here it is ! I'm a very slow typist. :P

sf_songfactorschoicetop10.jpg

#9 for period ending 15th May 2006.

1. THE SOUND OF SILENCE - SIMON AND GARFUNKEL

2. BROWN EYED GIRL - VAN MORRISON

3. FIRE AND RAIN - JAMES TAYLOR

4. LOSING MY RELIGION - R.E.M.

5. PURPLE HAZE - JIMI HENDRIX

6. TEARS IN HEAVEN - ERIC CLAPTON

7. NIGHTS IN WHITE SATIN - THE MOODY BLUES

8. ALL RIGHT NOW - FREE

9. MY GENERATION - THE WHO

10.RAINY NIGHT IN GEORGIA - BROOK BENTON

60s, 70s and a couple of 90s. The 80s just can't cut it !

Losing My Religion is also currently in the Songfacts Daily Top Ten, but it wasn't when it was nominated.

NO MORE NOMINATIONS YET PLEASE. CARL WILL MAKE AN ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT THE THREAD SOON. SOMETHING GOOD THAT WILL PROMOTE IT FURTHER !

All Feedback welcome in the meantime, and I'll list the Points gained by all nominations tomorrow morning, my time.

Goodnight All and THANKS FOR PARTICIPATING ! :)

Wonderful songs! :)

Rainy Night in Georgia isn't in Songfacts. Here's what allmusic.com says about it:

Songwriter Donnie Fritts told Atlantic Records staff producer Jerry Wexler about "Rainy Night in Georgia." Wexler was looking for material for new Atlantic singer Brook Benton, who would be issued on the label's Cotillion imprint. The song had been written by Louisiana swamp rock singer Tony Joe White, who scored a number eight pop hit with "Polk Salad Annie." White came up with the melancholy ballad while working on his first job out of high school, driving a dump truck for the state highway department in Mariatta, GA. After a heavy rainstorm, White wouldn't have to work the following day, leaving him some time to play his guitar. The session for the song was held at Miami's Criteria Studios where another Atlantic artist, Aretha Franklin, had recorded some of her hits, including "Call Me." On hand were guitarist Cornell Dupree, harmonica player Toots Thielmans, organist Billy Carter, bassist Harold Cowart, drummer Tubby Ziegler, and pianist Dave Crawford. Produced by arranger Arif Mardin, "Rainy Night in Georgia" went to number one R&B and number four pop in the spring of 1970. White and Benton performed the song in 1988 for a Nashville television show.