Australian Songfactors!

Henry David

I'm here! I live in south-eastern New South Wales, which is the state below Queensland, so it's a long way away from me.

My cousins live in North Queensland but as far as I know they're fine, just warnings for floods and extreme winds. My other cousin who was married last weekend was on Hamilton Island for her honeymoon and I think they were evacuated.

Bella lives near the bottom of Queensland, so she's out of harms way too, and I see Old55 on here right now!

Thanks HD and all. That's very nice of you to think about us. Our cyclones are the same things as your hurricanes; they form over the sea. This one was the same strength as the one that hit New Orleans, but not in such a densely populated area.

Fortunately there was no loss of life or severe physical injuries. Many homes were destroyed and many structurally damaged or unroofed. It's still raining heavily, making cleanup operations very difficult.

North Queensland is Australia's main sugar and banana producing area, and crops have been wiped out. Some who work the land there will just never recover financially, and perhaps many residents emotionally never will either.

:P

55 - I think the Australian cyclone was actually more powerful than Katrina (New Orleans). I heard that cyclone had 180 mph winds... that would have made it a category 5 hurricane by our standards. And although it was believed that Katrina was a Cat5, it turned out to have been downgraded to a Cat4 (sustained winds of 150, if I remember correctly...)just before it hit land.