Songs that have lines that sound like other songs

Levis

I have come across a couple of songs that have lyrics and corresponding music similar to some other songs by different artists. I just want some verification to know if my suspicions are correct or if I'm hallucinating.

"Love Thy Will Be Done" - Martika... has a line "I can no longer run, I can no longer hide" which sounds very similar to the lyric in Texas' "Say Whay you Want"

"A rose is still a rose" - Aretha Franklin... has a line that sounds like "what I am is what I am..." similar to the song by Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians.

Am I imagining this?

It's a toss-up. I have no doubt that people unconsciously lift lines or the occasional motif from other songs; sometimes it's done on purpose, out of respect (a little tribute) or simple admiration for the line. I say this because I've read what some famous people have said, and I've done it myself. John Lennon was incredibly honest about doing it.

However, the lines you quoted above are generic enough to where it could just be coincidence.

Anybody familiar with Tanita Tikaram, UK female singer/songwriter, briefly popular in 1988? Her biggest hit "Twist In My Sobriety" (also covered by Liza Minelli on her"Results" album) contained the enigmatic line "My eyes are just holograms".

This bears an uncanny phonetic similarity to the line "My Eyes Are Hollow Ground!" bellowed maniacally in "Rottweilers" by UK post-punk confrontational-noise combo NERVE RACK only a couple of years later.

More of a "discreet tribute" than a "steal" though, I would argue...

So what you're saying is if someone steals a line their career will be brief? I can dig that. :)

Anybody familiar with Nerve Rack?

Daslied, I think you may have a point ....