Now, something is just WRONG with this.

Ken

Why would someone want to copy Bob Seger???

Batman

yellowfin

Loc: Electric Ladyland

Epiphany

From Merriam-Webster online dictionary

3 a (1) : a usually sudden manifestation or perception of the essential nature or meaning of something (2) : an intuitive grasp of reality through something (as an event) usually simple and striking (3) : an illuminating discovery b : a revealing scene or moment.

Ken.

Batman

yellowfin

Loc: Electric Ladyland

Epiphany

From Merriam-Webster online dictionary

3 a (1) : a usually sudden manifestation or perception of the essential nature or meaning of something (2) : an intuitive grasp of reality through something (as an event) usually simple and striking (3) : an illuminating discovery b : a revealing scene or moment.

Ken.

well now I'm even more confused

Let me try this in another way. You seemed to put down Bob Seger by asking why somebody would want to copy him. Somebody mught want to copy a guy that had a highly sucessful career spanning decades and providing millions of people with enjoyment...that might be a reason.

I believe some folks are suggesting you will or should have an illuminating discovery of the talents of Bob Seger (epiphany definition ©).

Maybe you want to clarify your stand on Seger, maybe you don't...I think that's your call.

I put Bat's age in bold, he's 16. The epiphany was mine, the epiphany was my dawning / realization that the dumb statement (sorry Batman, it was, nothing personal) was made due to being younger. In Seger's "Beautiful Loser", he sings, "He wants to dream like a young man. With the wisdom of an old man. He wants his home and security", and now, Kid Rock might say, "You Never Met a Motherfu**er Quite Like Me" (An actual song by Mr. Rock), whereas, Seger chose the classier, and enduring "He wants to live like a sailor at sea" If we open our Keys to good songwriting textbook to page 113, you'll see that "Beautiful Loser" will still be a good song 30 years from now, and "You never met a whichever....." will be forgotten by the time Bush is done with his current Presidency.

As for your qusetion as to who would want to imitate Seger, why not ask Metallica? They had a lot of success with "Turn The Page".

Ken.

They just happened to be playing this on the radio tonight. The entire double album. :rockon:

Ken your assesment is entirely correct. Batman's got great taste (and his own opinions). He's just young. Batman, have you listened to the entire album? Pure Rock and Roll.

I just thought it wouldn't really make sense to copy Bob Seger because if his music was just coming out today, it probably wouldn't be very popular. I wasn't implying anything bad about Bob, it's just that...his music was nostalgic even back when it was coming out in the 70's, it seems like a copy of it would be way too nostalgic today. It just seems like it would make more sense to try to do something new and unique, rather than rely on nostalgia. But then, I haven't heard much Kid Rock, so I'm not sure if nostalgia is even a factor Kid Rock is trying to use.

Sorry if none of that made sense.

I put Bat's age in bold, he's 16. The epiphany was mine, the epiphany was my dawning / realization that the dumb statement (sorry Batman, it was, nothing personal) was made due to being younger. In Seger's "Beautiful Loser", he sings, "He wants to dream like a young man. With the wisdom of an old man. He wants his home and security", and now, Kid Rock might say, "You Never Met a Motherfu**er Quite Like Me" (An actual song by Mr. Rock), whereas, Seger chose the classier, and enduring "He wants to live like a sailor at sea" If we open our Keys to good songwriting textbook to page 113, you'll see that "Beautiful Loser" will still be a good song 30 years from now, and "You never met a whichever....." will be forgotten by the time Bush is done with his current Presidency.

As for your qusetion as to who would want to imitate Seger, why not ask Metallica? They had a lot of success with "Turn The Page".

Ken.

And amen to that. Ken, you have a great way with words and I doubt that anyone could have said that better.

I'm a big Metallica fan, and the way James and Lars rave about Bob Seger on the Garage Inc liner notes...you can see how much of an influence Seger's work has had on them both professionally and personally.

Sorry to disagree with you again Batman, but I believe that Seger would have had success in whatever decade he produced music in. A talent like his can't be ignored.

Batman.....there is one CD which I always keep in my car (the others are always rotated from my collection). That CD is Bob Seger's Greatest Hits. No matter where I am driving to, if I am bored with local radio or have gone through the other CD's I know I can always depend on Seger's music to keep my spirit going.

Like A Rock is a song I surely identify with. Others like Night Moves, Roll Me Away, Hollywood Nights, Against The Wind and Old Time Rock N' Roll are all great songs. The rest of the greatest hits CD is potent with more of his hits. I highly suggest you listen to these hits if you have not done so already. I think you will find that these songs would sell just as well today as they did 25 - 30 years ago.

But as for being young...I don't think being young negatively effects my musical taste. Not to be egotistical or anything, but I have much better musical taste than most of the adults I know...if musical taste can be judged, that is.

I agree with you Batman. I truly think that you´re amazing. I might even forgive you for not adoring Bob Seger. :bow: :bow: :bow: (one bow for Batman, two for Bob Seger... ;) )

Actually, I'm finding it to be quite easy.

*rimshot*

:laughing:

age schmage, people are entitled to their own opinion whatever their age. i'll be happy enough never to have one of those "epiphanies" you're talking about, ken, because i like what i like when i like and if i like.

from www.dictionary.com

condescension

1. The act of condescending or an instance of it.

2. Patronizingly superior behavior or attitude.

n 1: The trait of displaying arrogance by patronizing those considered inferior [syn: superciliousness, disdainfulness] 2: a communication that indicates lack of respect by patronizing the recipient [syn: disdain, patronage] 3: affability to your inferiors and temporary disregard for differences of position or rank; "the queen's condescension was intended to make us feel comfortable" [syn: condescendingness]

I think we misunderstood Batman to begin with. Apologies for that... :crazy:

I shall try not to be patronizing in any way....

I don't believe that was the intention. Young is not a dirty word. You're just seeing things from a different perspective than some of us dinosaurs! I think some of us may just find it surprising that something we consider to be so classic, may not be seen that way by people of another generation.

I honestly enjoy hearing opinions from those younger than myself, and of course, I'm going to argue my point of view, just as you will yours!! :)

I have much better musical taste than most of the adults I know...if musical taste can be judged, that is.

This takes me back to when I was about 9 listening to a brand new Monkees album we'd just gotten for 10 cents at a garage sale. Mom was there and she kept looking at us with her face all screwed up, and finally she said, "You guys like this?" I am reminded of that every time I hear the music my son likes. Of course, he's also a Roger fan, so I can't discredit that in any way, shape or form.