The Commonwealth Games

katie_sane

The Commonwealth Games are currently taking place in Melbourne, Australia.

Who have we got here from Commonwealth nations?

The medal tally is as follows for the top seven countries -

Australia: 15 Gold, 10 Silver, 12 Bronze

India: 7 Gold, 3 Silver, 0 Bronze

England: 4 Gold, 9 Silver, 4 Bronze

Scotland: 3 Gold, 1 Silver, 3 Bronze

Canada: 2 Gold, 8 Silver, 4 Bronze

New Zealand: 2 Gold, 3 Silver, 2 Bronze

South Africa: 2 Gold, 0 Silver, 3 Bronze

Yes, India is no slouch...I was watching their women's hockey team the other day, they're really good. Radhi, did your friends volunteer to dance at the closing ceremony or were they chosen to do it?

The medal tally for today is:

Australia - 26 Gold, 18 Silver, 19 Bronze

England - 11 Gold, 18 Silver, 19 Bronze

India - 8 Gold, 6 Silver, 1 Bronze

Canada - 4 Gold, 11 Silver, 6 Bronze

Scotland - 4 Gold, 4 Silver, 3 Bronze

South Africa - 4 Gold, 1 Silver, 4 Bronze

New Zealand - 2 Gold, 3 Silver, 6 Bronze

There are 53 Commonwealth nations and 71 participating teams.

I think they were chosen... they're part of Shiamak Davar's dance troupe. Dancing is their life. One of them is my guru... she motivated me to do something to reach my toes (and now I can bring my head to my knees!). She's so good she's now an instructor in her own right. The other is a professional in both Bharatnatyam and assorted forms of western dance. And unsurprisingly they're great friends with each other too. :)

I saw an Australian girl on the uneven parallel bars... she WAS really good! And then of course the crowd was going crazy! :D In the background I could see someone doing floor exercises. It is so frustrating when there are so many things going on and you only get to see a few.

Allow me to spill your ugly national secret : For the last 10 years or so , Austrailian scientists have been working around the clock to develope a special ' synthetic' water-like substance that when members of their swim teams compete in it , wearing a compatible suit , they are unfairly propelled far ahead of other competitors . Thorpedo -my arse ! }:( They have put in pools around the world , too - Cheaters !

Why , if they had THEIR way , the Games would consist exclusively of swimming events, too !

Ha HA! Thorpedo wasn't even in the games - he couldn't compete due to illness! :laughing:

And sshhhSSHHH! How did you find out about our shameful secret? I have long suspected you as being a spy Kevin (if that IS your real name! Your stated occupation of chimney sweep was just a guise to hide your true identity!

Oh , I know he wasn't there ( Thank God ) - but that still doesn't excuse what you did , you bloody #$%& 's - and infront of HER MAJESTY too ! No Shame down under, eh ? :shades: I sez we embargo you like we did to S. Africa and in maybe 20-30 years - you'll learn yer lesson , me boyo !

Well , since your minting the medals , I suppose there is nothing stopping you from keeping the smelters working all night long and just handing them out , in the dead of night , and in the morning the press is rightfully confused and reports what they did ... " Look ! I got a gold medal ! " , "Me too , see ! " - kinda like the Easter bunny ...