Build Your Custom Band

Incesticide

If you could put together a band made up of musicians from any time period and genre, who would you choose and why?

I'll start:

Lyrics and Vocals: Jim Morrison (The Doors) - with Syd Barrett (Pink Floyd) a very close second. Although I personally consider Barrett to be one of the the best lyricists of all time, Morrison, being an excellent frontman (and interesting poet), takes first place.

Lead Guitar: Robert Fripp (King Crimson) - A mad, mad, mad person with equally insane guitar playing and composing skills :P

Rhythmn Guitar 1: Omar Rodriguez Lopez (The Mars Volta) - As insane as Fripp - uses a lot of interesting and frenetic guitar riffs.

Rhythm Guitar 2, Acoustic Guitar, Banjo, Trumpet: Marc Ribot (Various) - Usually plays jazz but can switch to different genres. Has collaborated with quite an impressive list of artists and bands and is a versatile musician.

Saxophone: John Coltrane (Various) & John Lurie (The Lounge Lizards) - I guess Coltrane was a given here since he's known as one of the best Jazz musicians and for his live performances. I chose Lurie because he's got some rather interesting and eclectic work with the Lounge Lizards.

Bass: Victor Wooten (Bela Fleck and the Flecktones) - This chap works miracles with a mere 4-string bass. No offence to Claypool but Les should take some lessons from this guy. From what i've heard he taps entire chords. (thats hard enough to do one a guitar, let alone a bass).

Viola: John Cale (The Velvet Underground) - I'm a big Velvet Underground fan :P

Keyboards: Robert Wyatt (Soft Machine) - Amazing keyboardist. Listen to his album Rock Bottom and you'll realise why I chose him. (Batman will agree with me here ;) )

Drums: Brian Blade (Brian Blade Fellowship Sextet)

- I saw this chap live last summer at The Malta Jazz Festival and he was absolutely amazing.

and I agree with you about Robert Wyatt.

Anyways, heres my dream band that would be funky and jazzy

Keyboards - Herbie Hancock

Drums - Billy Cobham

Guitar - Jimi Hendrix

Guitar - John McGlaughlin

Bass - Bootsy Collins

Trumpet - Miles Davis

other percussion - Whoever did the percussion for Santana back in the day

Did anyone read that article in the paper where people had to vote for their fav singer, guitarist, bassist and drummer to make a super group but they ended up with the members of Led Zeppelin in every position? It made me laugh. Her's the link if you wanna read it or see who was runners up.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4669597.stm

Did anyone read that article in the paper where people had to vote for their fav singer, guitarist, bassist and drummer to make a super group but they ended up with the members of Led Zeppelin in every position? It made me laugh. Her's the link if you wanna read it or see who was runners up.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4669597.stm

Interesting... well, after all Led were an amazing band...

What's somewhat worrying is that a repetative guitarist like Slash actually made it to second place while more innovative guitarists like Jeff Beck, Mark Knopfler and Stevie Ray Vaughn were no were to be seen.

Hey Batman

The guy that did percussion for Santana back in the day had a last name of Shreve. I can't think of his first name right off hand..

He was a "BLURR"

rtstuff

That was just one guy? Man, he was really something else. Although I guess he had multiple people at the concerts.

The main problem with supergroups, I think, is that they have a standout guitarist or two, a standout singer, a standout bassist, a standout drummer...everyone stands out too much. It's usually much better for a band to sort of "meld" instead of all of them trying to get more attention than the other, in my opinion.