Who would you fire?

Sweet Jane 61

Fine. Then I'd fire Ron Wood anyway and get Mick Taylor in.

oops - the tone of voice, dripping with sarcasm as it was, didn't quite come over, i fear. what i meant was that the fact that someone is dead should be irrelevant since none of what we're talking about could ever actually happen anyway!

so, brian jones it is?!

• 2 months later...

...didn't really add anything. Same for Charlie Watts for the Rolling Stones.

This is daft. Charlie Watts is a chuffing brilliant drummer. Far too good for the Rolling Stones...

On another note entirely.... Bobby Gillespie of Primal Scream. OK, he's the singer, frontman, mouthpiece, motivator, the glue that binds the group together, etc, etc. but does it bother anyone else that he is a really poor singer? Quite apart from faking it by always singing in an Southern American accent despite being Glaswegian,(a dodgy and irritating habit) Gillespie's voice is flat, reedy, whiny, and often struggling to maintain even the simplest tune.

I actually like Primal Scream, or have grown to like them over recent years: particularly their dubby/minimalist experiments with sound (e.g."Vanishing Point", "XTRMNTR", "Evil Heat" albums: I'm not fond of their rock-outs/Stones pastiches).

Increasingly, recently, I'm noticing that the tracks I prefer are the ones with no singing or where the vocals are masked/effect-laden/spoken, etc. Once he starts his atonal warbling, they lose me completely. Spoils a potentially decent band if you ask me. Though I appreciate that nobody did....