Best Film Scores

Mike

Floyd, I will agree with you on the fact that John Williams is a great composer when it comes to scoring music for blockbuster films. I also agree that the original Star Wars soundtrack is one of the best film scores of all time. As a teen I never cared for symphonic arrangements but when it came to the Star Wars soundtrack, I found it to be quite easing.

Other film scores I would consider recommending is Gone With The Wind, Close Encounters Of The Third Kind and Exodus.

Ennio Morricone: A Fistful of Film Music: The Ennio Morricone Anthology (Rhino, 1995)

A musical chameleon, Morricone can fit music to any type of film and make it memorable, mesmerizing, and melodic all at the same time. He wrote the memorable tunes we all whistle from the spaghetti westerns of Sergio Leone: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, A Fistful of Dollars, and Once Upon a Time in the West pop into mind automatically. But Morricone also composed the music for The Sicilian Clan, The Exorcist II: The Heretic, The Untouchables, Cinema Paradiso, and Bugsy. His classic film score work is resurrected in current films today, most notably the Kill Bill epic by director Quentin Tarantino. Morricone's music is a huge influence to musicians everywhere, from John Zorn to Yo Yo Ma.

Black Orpheus - where Brazilian Jazz starts

The Seahawk - my favorite by Eric Korngold

A Hard Days Night - some rock guys from England

Apocolypse Now -

Top Hat - Irving Berlin plus Fred & Ginger got to love it

Wizard of Oz

West Side Story

Almost any film Mancini wrote for

In my opinion, it is near impossible to top Bernard Herrmann (<).

Bazooka...while I agree with you that Herrman was great, there is still another I find to be simply brilliant and amazing.

His music has been heard by just about every American in this country in one genre or another. From hundreds of television commercials to children's programming and other TV shows and movies. He is also the musical genius behind alot of video games. The man eats, drinks and sleeps music. He is one of the most prolific composers of our time. When he isn't composing he is producing artwork similiar to the modern surrealistic painters of our time.

He is also one of the founding members of DEVO and his name is Mark Mothersbaugh. Wilkipedia has a small blurb on some of his accomplishments. Here it is Mark Mothersbaugh

And let's not forget Danny Elfman

( Pee Wee’s Big Adventure, Dick Tracy, Beetlejuice, Batman, Good Will Hunting, Edward Scissorhands, Dolores Claiborne, Darkman, Men in Black, Army of Darkness, Spider-Man, Planet of the Apes, etc. and The Simpsons )

• 2 weeks later...

Best film composer of all time has to be Ennio Morricone, but there's a whole subset of European composers that get lost in the shuffle. I'd also have to give many kudos to Goblin for composing some of the coolest Prog-Rock scores for Eurohorror movies - half of the thrill is listening to those tunes.

Nor John_Barry Or the classic Maurice_Jarre

Well said, Edna. IMO, John Barry is the greatest composer of musical scores for motion pictures. Some of his best include:

Out of Africa

Dances With Wolves

Midnight Cowboy

Robin And Marian

The Lion In Winter

Born Free

Body Heat

Almost all of the film scores for the Sean Connery and Roger Moore James Bond flicks.

Other movie scores I like are:

Ben Hur( Miklos Rozsa)

Lawrence of Arabia (Maurice Jarre)

Doctor Zhivago (Maurice Jarre)

Exodus (Ernest Gold)

Charade (Henry Mancini)

Breakfast At Tiffany's (Henry Mancini)

The Godfather Part II (Nino Rota)

Around The World In 80 Days (Victor Young)