What was the band or song that did it for you?

DrCowbell

My father had a bunch of old 45's when I was a kid in the 50's. I remember listening to Eddie Cochran's Blue Suede Shoes and Elvis' Heart Break Hotel. I also remember this song I think it was called Behind the Green Door, but I can't remember who did it. I would listen to those hours on end. He also had Johnny Horton's Battle Of New Orleans and Sink the Bismark, and North To Alaska. I distinctly remember he had some Tennesse Ernie Ford. He had his 16 Tons and In The Pines on 45.

rtstuff

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi rt. Sounds like your Dad had good taste !

Carl Perkins did Blue Suede Shoes. He wrote it and Elvis covered it when he moved to RCA. Eddie Cochran is probably best known for Summertime Blues. Green Door was sung by Jim Lowe, and covered by Welshman Shakin' Stevens in 1981.

The first two new fangled 45 rpm singles I ever had were Rock Around The Clock / Bill Haley & His Comets and The Great Pretender / The Platters. Great songs !

:)

In my case it was Bon Jovi (Always) and to a certain extent, the Fugees (Ready or Not). Those two songs were my first two favourites :P

Of course, since my dad and uncle are quite the Dire Straits and Chris Rea fans, I got a rather large dose of both - I grew up listening to Money for Nothing and Auberge and for quite a long time I was under the impression that Rea was the Dire Straits vocalist... :crazy:

Edited by Guest

Okay, don't laugh, but I think it was TV that turned me on to music. Usually we listened to kid stuff, so watching the musical guests on the Muppet Show every week made me aware of what was out there beyond the Musketeers. I also watched the Partridge Family and the Monkees.

Then, as I got elementary school age, I followed Andy Gibb, Abba, Bee Gees, etc. Then, it was "Solid Gold" in the '80's

Stop laughing, I said!!!!!

That's nothing! I think I have you beat! One of my first ever career ehm, ambitions (??) was to be a Solid Gold Dancer. I thought they were really cool. Yeah, I was probably about 7. Heh.

Thanks Old 55 on the correction. I was at work when making that post and I was in a hurry and forgot it was Carl Perkins. Summertime Blues is one of my favorite Rock-A-Billy hits along with hits from Buddy Holly and the wild man Gene Vincent of Be-Bop-A-Lula fame.

One of the funniest comedic sikts I remember as a kid was the late great Steve Allen doing a parady on Be-Bop-A-Lula. Only Steve Allen could have pulled it off.

rtstuff

That's nothing! I think I have you beat! One of my first ever career ehm, ambitions (??) was to be a Solid Gold Dancer. I thought they were really cool. Yeah, I was probably about 7. Heh.

I had a crush on one of the male dancers.....I thought it would be cool to be one of those dancers too. I think it's what inspired me to take dance classes.

My sister and I used to sit around listening to my mom's old 45s and 78s on our little record player. My first favorite song, I think, was "Don't Be Cruel," Mom was an Elvis fan. We also always liked "Sixteen Tons" by Tennessee Ernie Ford.

When I was old enough to develop my own taste, I think the first song I loved on the radio was "Sugar, Sugar" by the Archies, or "I'm A Believer" by the Monkees, whichever came out first, I don't remember. I'm such a bubblegummer.