What was the band or song that did it for you?

DrCowbell

Can you remember being younger and hearing that song for the first time, the one that somehow got you onto the path of musical obsession? (I'm not talking about the band itself, just a song that caused you to sit up and tak notice of that great thing called Pop Music.

For me, this question occured to me when I was listening to my iPod set to shuffle and The Reflex by Duran Duran came on. I have never forgotten how cool I thought that video was when it first came out, and I think I must have ben about 7 years old. They were really exciting for me back then (hey, I *was* seven!) and my first ever pop star crush was on John Taylor. Heh. (And I still have a soft spot for him for that very reason.)

So what were yours? I'm sure there'll be a lot of "Beatles on Ed Sullivan!" but anything else more unorthodox? That'd be cool to hear about!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lloyd Price's "Stagger Lee"

The night was clear and the moon was yellow

And the leaves came tumbling down

I was standing on the corner

When I heard my bulldog bark

He was barkin' at the two men

Who were gamblin' in the dark

It was Stagger Lee and Billy

Two men who gambled late

Stagger Lee threw seven

Billy swore that he threw eight

Stagger Lee told Billy

I can't let you go with that

You done won all my money

And my brand new stetson hat

Stagger Lee went home

And he got his forty-four

Said, I'm goin' to the barroom

Just to pay that debt I owe

Go Stagger Lee (wailing sax solo)

Stagger Lee went to the barroom

And he stood across the barroom door

He said, nobody move

And he pulled his forty-four

Stagger Lee, cried Billy

Oh, please don't take my life

I've three little children

And a very sickly wife

Stagger Lee shot Billy

Oh, he shot that poor boy so bad

Till the bullet came through Billy

And it broke the bartender's glass

When I was 7 or 8, I really liked "Bad" by Michael Jackson, but I wasn't into music until I heard "Alive" by Pearl Jam with 15 or 16.

Hmm, I think over the years my taste in music changed a little bit. :grin:

Of course mine have too, but I just can't help having that soft spot for Duran Duran. Ha ha. I remember when I got a bit older I would consider the "Holy Trinity" to consist of U2, R.E.M. and the Beatles, but yeah, Duran Duran did it for me. I always loved music after that, even if I did end up gravitating more toward grunge and like guitar driven (not synth-pop) rock now. :)

Edited by Guest

No real one song... all sorts of songs when I was young... very varied and I don't even remember the singers for most of them.

When I was 15 that newly-discovered Nirvana song came out - You Know You're Right. From there I becamse curious and thus startethed my musical expedition :D