songs that are almost poetry

kyliehot1

Why say 'almost' ? They are poetry.

Angel From Montgomery, etc. - John Prine

Kodachrome, Graceland, Late In The Evening, etc, etc. - Paul Simon

Dear Landlord , It Takes a Lot to Laugh .. It Takes a Train to Cry, Tangled Up in Blue, Love Minus Zero/No Limit, etc., etc., etc. - most of Bob Dylan, of course.

White Room - Cream

Not this one:

She said you hurt her so,

she almost lost her mind,

but now she says she knows,

you´re not the hurting kind,

she said she loves you and you know that can´t be bad

yes she loves you and you know you should be glad...

She loves you yeah, yeah, yeah, etc. :laughing:

Yet I love love love this song! :bow:

Any Leonard Cohen song is a poem.

I think some of you are taking Kylie too literally. Of course most songs are poetry, but I think she was referring to specific techniques. There are many songs written to just make you feel good (dancing, singing etc).

I would not really call,oh say, The Twist by Chubby Checker a poem. Some songs are just stand alone songs . Smokin' In the Boys Room? Not much poetry.

Besides the ones mentioned by others here, of course there are so many others, all opinions.

Mine would be...Angel ~ Jimi Hendrix. Most all of Jimis stuff is pure poetry. Angel was a poem with the music as a pure afterthought, not as a source with the developement of a good song in mind.

I would definately agree with Dylan, Bowie, Hendrix, Morrison and others who were considered poets in thier own right. But, many songs are just that...songs. Words that while they sound good, may have been put to a good beat..( I give that song a 7, cause you can dance to it), when you listen and break it down, not a lot of pure poetry there.

• 2 weeks later...

We did a section on poetry in my English composition class and my professor had us discuss three songs, "Cat's in the Cradle" by Harry Chapin, "39" by Queen and "American Woman" by the Guess Who. I was most intrigued by "39". I'd never heard it before and it was really cool. I also didn't realize that "American Woman" was a protest song and had to do with the evils of America. Veddy interesting. :shades:

You're right, Farin. It is my understanding that she didn't want it played because she thought it was an attack on American women and didn't realize it was an attack on the entire American country. It's like when Reagan wanted to use Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA" as his campaign slogan, not realizing that the song was a scathing commentary on America.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some serious alliteration in this song...

Helplessly Hoping by CSNY

Helplessly hoping

Her harlequin hovers nearby

Awaiting a word

Gasping at glimpses

Of gentle true spirit

He runs, wishing he could fly

Only to trip at the sound of good-bye

Wordlessly watching

He waits by the window

And wonders

At the empty place inside