"Floaters in the eye" and "flashers"

Otokichi

Saturday evening I saw a bunch of gnats or mosquitos off to my right. I tried to shoo them away, but they remained in peripheral vision. Then I noticed a thin, vertical line that flashed as I moved my head from side to side. Remembering an old medical show on TV, I did a Google! search for "detached retina" and got confirmation of the symptoms. Today, the Opthamologist found nothing serious, but told me to pay close attention if the "floaters" became long and stringy or if my vision faded suddenly. My father had this problem, but LASER surgery took care of this "sense thief." :stars:

My dad had detached retinas years ago due to jogging - high impact is not good on the old eyeballs, I guess. His doctor didn't have him do anything out of the ordinary, just told him to relax, don't do anything strenuous, and they'll reattach. It worked.

I've experienced this at a few times. I was told those floaters and flashers can also be symptoms of "mini" strokes (TIA's?), and that everyone suffers them occaisionally. As far as I know my retinas are fine, and hopefully stay that way.

I've been told that I have tiny weak spots in my retinas, but there's really nothing I can do to prevent them from tearing. My ophthalmologist told me that if I did see a floater or a dark spot and it was persistent, to call the office and they would take me in right away.

My mother had to have laser surgery for that, so I assume that my doctor will do that to me as well, if that's the case. I don't fear that as much as I fear macular degeneration. There's no cure for that, and you permanently lose your vision.

I have had floaters since I was about 21 and I am now 56.

Your eye has a gelatinous mass in it called the vitrieous humor. As you get older this gelatinous mass begins to liquify. As it does so you get all of these little fibrous particles beginning to float around. They have become quite a nuisance for me. They are real bad on bright days. They also bother me if I am in a room and look outside when it is real bright outside. I have been told there is really nothing that can be done about them.

rtstuff

Floating away in Huntington, West Virginia.

I have so many vision problems, it's a miracle I don't wear Coke bottle glasses. I do wear glasses, but I wear small, thin frames so the lenses have to get cut as thin as possible to fit in them.

I have thought about LASIK, but that only helps myopia (nearsightedness). I have that, but I also have astigmatism and a "lazy" eye. In the lens for my right eye, I have a prism. If I didn't have it, when my eyes get tired, I would probably look like Kevin's avatar!!!!!

I don't know about normal, but yes, my nearsightedness might correct itself, at least a little. Still won't help my other problems, though.

I look on the bright side...my husband is constantly looking for his glasses when he needs them, and has to remember to carry them when we go out. Mine are always there.