Shoulda, Coulda Been A One Hit Wonder

Steel2Velvet

Have you ever heard two or more songs from a singer or group that you thought sounded just like every other song they have done? The first recording would have been all they needed to define their "sound."

Michael McDonald and Nora Jones come to my mind for soloists. The group Classics Four - "Spooky," "Stormy," "Traces Of Love" (weren't they really all the same song?) - a group that works for this thread.

Give me some help here ... there have got to be others.

AC/DC

During the DVD "Stiff Upper Lip- LIVE", Angus does that monkey-on-a-stick boogie duckwalk down a ramp reasonably deep into the audience. As the camera pans back he is nealy lost in a background of a squidjillion people in attendance. This is a squidjillion people that plopped down good money to see AC/DC. Then review the DVD, "AC/DC Live at Donington". He appears, diminutive, in front of a majillionsquidjillion rabid Brits, fists aloft, cheering the same band, 10 years earlier. I think they may have had a few concerts in between. During Toronto's 2003 SARSstock concert, they played before an audience of over 500,000 fans, many who left after AC/DC performed and before the Stones went on. Jason Timberlake had water bottles pelted at him during his performance and was quoted as saying, "If I were here to see AC/DC, I'd throw water bottles at me too".

Hardly a one hit wonder....

I think Alanis Morrisette should have been a jagged little one hit wonder....

Ken.

During the DVD "Stiff Upper Lip- LIVE", Angus does that monkey-on-a-stick boogie duckwalk down a ramp reasonably deep into the audience. As the camera pans back he is nealy lost in a background of a squidjillion people in attendance. This is a squidjillion people that plopped down good money to see AC/DC. Then review the DVD, "AC/DC Live at Donington". He appears, diminutive, in front of a majillionsquidjillion rabid Brits, fists aloft, cheering the same band, 10 years earlier. I think they may have had a few concerts in between. During Toronto's 2003 SARSstock concert, they played before an audience of over 500,000 fans, many who left after AC/DC performed and before the Stones went on. Jason Timberlake had water bottles pelted at him during his performance and was quoted as saying, "If I were here to see AC/DC, I'd throw water bottles at me too".

Hardly a one hit wonder....

I just meant they should have been a one hit wonder because all of their hit songs sound the same...and most of their non-hit songs sound the same too.

Gotcha Batty, my bad.

ZZ Top, and Carlos Santana. Both good, just, the same feel or sound. As for AC/DC, an interviewer once commented to Angus Young, "In reality, you've made 20 albums that all sound the same.." to which an irate Angus replied "No, we've made 21 albums that all sound the same...."

Ken.

Gotcha Batty, my bad.

ZZ Top, and Carlos Santana. Both good, just, the same feel or sound. As for AC/DC, an interviewer once commented to Angus Young, "In reality, you've made 20 albums that all sound the same.." to which an irate Angus replied "No, we've made 21 albums that all sound the same...."

Ken.

:laughing:

Those singers or groups who claim multiple hits, when one is really only slightly varied from another.

Donna Summers (thanks to disco) is another that comes to mind.

I really can't agree on Donna Summer, I don't get where you're coming from at all there :confused:

Love To Love You Baby

I Feel Love

Hot Stuff

Love's Unkind

4 big hits, all very different from one another, (to my ears at least).