White lies, good or bad?

Sweet Jane 61

Another work discussion, yes we do work, well sort of...LOL!! White lies, do you tell them? Is it good to tell a white lie, if you are doing so to spare someone's feelings, or is it just wrong to tell any kind of white lie? We all tell them daily, like when someone asks how you are and you say good for the most part, well you may be going through some kind of hell inside or something and you just don't say so. Or you don't really tell the whole truth to a friend so they won't be hurt. So are white lies good or bad?

definitely good....If they are a close friend you could probably get away with telling the truth, like I really don't those shoes or something like that...but a co-worker or someone that says do you like my new outfit?...and they are really proud of it, and obviously they love it...you wouldn't want to hurt their feelings....

I agree Laurie, but the other side of the discussion was from a young girl who works here and is takin a class about ethics and morals and she said any lie, even a white one is wrong. That a person losses their dignity when they lie. I agree with that if you do it to harm someone. Now that should make you feel like a real jerk.

We had an accident some years ago when we were going to spend Christmans with the in-laws to a small village in the North. The car was in real bad shape so we parked it quite far from the house so my mother-in-law wouldn´t see it and learn we could have been killed on the road. We told her we had a great trip.

My mother asked me about an old friend of mine who´s not doing fine. I said he´s fine, she´ll never know about him if it´s not through myself.

Do you think it´s bad?

I thought it was "God kills a puppy every time you lie"?

Never heard that one, but I never heard the dignity thing until today when the girl here at work was telling us. She is learning this in her college class. What they teach kids now a days. I for one tell while lies and if you are sparing a persons feelings like in Edna's story what is the harm. As for my dignity, think I lost that when I was a teen...oh no wait that was something else...LOL!!

This topic reminds me of a song by Brad Paisley.

That's Love

There ain't a woman in the world that wants to hear the word yes

When she asks if you think that she looks chubby in that dress

And if she cooks all day you better eat it with a smile

It doesn't matter if it tastes just like bad gravy on a Goodyear tire

Yeah, yeah, yeah all right so you bend the truth

Yeah, yeah, yeah that's somethin' that you'll have to get use to

Chorus

'Cause that's love you'll see

We all commit a little bit of perjury

Ah but that's no crime if you ask me, that's love

You're starin' at a burnt steak

You bite the bullet and you clean your plate

And then you go on and on about how great it was

That's not a lie, that's love

Well it's the very same thing that she does for you

When she doesn't bring up the fifteen pounds that you need to lose

And every time she runs her fingers through your hair

And she says she kinda likes the way there's not as much of it there

Yeah, yeah, yeah well all right so she bends the truth

Yeah, yeah, yeah that's somethin' that you have to get use to

Repeat chorus

Yeah, yeah, yeah well all right so you bend the truth

Yeah, yeah, yeah that's somethin' that you'll both gonna do

'Cause that's love you'll see

We all commit a little bit of perjury

You say I like it when your momma comes to visit us

That's not a lie, that's not a lie, that's love

I don't think white lies are all bad. If someone asks "how are you?", they usually want to hear "fine", they don't want to hear all the drama...

Still, I try not to lie when I don't have to. I try to find something to say about the outfit,shoes, whatever that is the truth, but isn't the standard..."Oh, it's cute!!!" when I don't mean it.

Depends what the white lie is about...I mean, if someone really dislikes something about me, I'd rather that person just tell me rather than not tell me, and start to hate me. It's the kind of thing where I'd rather have people say something mean to me than something mean about me behind my back.

• 4 weeks later...

I try not to lie and if I were given the option of saying a lie or the truth I'd rather not say anything at all. Now that I think about it, there are two reasons why I don't have many people around me in real life:

1. I tell them the truth

2. I don't seek to be with lots of people because I tell them the truth

Edited by Guest

It's less strain on the gut and there's a heck of a lot less remembering to do, if one just continually speaks truth.

Exactly. I have a hard enough time remembering people's names. It'd be hell if I were to lie to them and remember who I told what lie to. Some people are really proficient at this.

Edited by Guest
typo

Exactly. I have a hard enough time remembering people's names. It'd be hell if I were to lie to them and remember who I told what lie to. Some people are really proficient at this.

You would need two secretaries to remind you constantly of everything you said. It´s almost impossible to learn such a script by heart... even for those liars who believe their own lies.