Song meaning - The Ghost of You

Can anyone please help me - I'm looking for any facts/possible lyrical interpretation of the song "The Ghost of You" by the Psychedelic Furs (which was then covered by the Counting Crows). I've looked all over the net & can't find anything! It's really important to me - please help if you can!

I'm a big fan of the 'Furs and even playing the song over in my head, I can't make sense out of the lyrics:

"A man in my shoes runs a light

and all the papers lied tonight"

"It makes no sense and all your talk and supermen just take away the time"

"The ghost in you she don't fade"

"And love, love, love, you can't give it away"

Those are just several of the lines, but he's obviously in love with someone; I just can't figure out if shes leaving him, they are just now getting together, or if it's something he's felt for a while and is just now saying it. Sorry, now I'm confused. ::

• 10 years later...

I couldn't find anything either which confirms what the lyrics actually mean, so I'm left with my own interpretation for now...

IMO it appears to be about a woman for whom he has feelings who is not with him anymore, who was perhaps killed or injured in a car crash involving her latest lover... "A man in my shoes runs a light".

He appears to remark about his own feelings, that despite the passage of time his feelings and memories of her do not fade, remaining like a ghost of her within his own mind... "Inside you the time moves and she don't fade. The ghost in you, she don't fade"

But the above could be way off the mark and I too would like to know precisely what the writer had in mind when he wrote these lyrics.

[To be honest, the obscurity of the lyrics and the ability to relate to them with one's own interpretation is part of what intrigues me with this song.]

Edited by Guest

• 4 years later...
On 6/15/2004 at 3:18 AM, cindy17838 said:

I'm a big fan of the 'Furs and even playing the song over in my head, I can't make sense out of the lyrics:

"A man in my shoes runs a light

and all the papers lied tonight"

"It makes no sense and all your talk and supermen just take away the time"

"The ghost in you she don't fade"

"And love, love, love, you can't give it away"

Those are just several of the lines, but he's obviously in love with someone; I just can't figure out if shes leaving him, they are just now getting together, or if it's something he's felt for a while and is just now saying it. Sorry, now I'm confused. ::