Mike

Interpret these lyrics:

When I was a boy I thought about the times I'd be a man

I'd sit inside a bottle and pretend that I was in a can

In my lonely room I'd sit my mind in an ice cream cone

You can throw me if you wanna 'cause I'm a bone and I go

Oop-ip-ip oop-ip-ip - yeah

If I don't start cryin' it's because that I have got no eyes

My father's in the fireplace and my dog lies hypnotized Through a crack of light I was unable to find my way Trapped inside a night but I'm a day and I go

Oop-ip-ip oop-ip-ip, yeah!

It was '7 and 7 is' on the 45, and 'Seven & Seven Is' on the LP

Love's only top 40 hit in mid-1966

Sounds like it's about masturbation to me.

(J/K! :laughing: - that was for you Diggs ;))

This almost seems too obvious, but I think its about being 14. On that verge of being grown up (& wanting to be grown up), but not quite there yet and feeling lost in the middle.

Sounds like it's about masturbation to me.

(J/K! :laughing: - that was for you Diggs ;))

This almost seems too obvious, but I think its about being 14. On that verge of being grown up (& wanting to be grown up), but not quite there yet and feeling lost in the middle.

ROTF-LMAO of course! That was funny Sara!!

Be advised if you're going to search the web for "Love" lyrics or "Love" albums you ought to include Arthur Lee (the leader's name) to focus to the desired result.

I remembered My Little Red Book being a much bigger hit than Seven And Seven Is, but I found out that although .. Little Red Book was huge on the West Coast (my stomping grounds), it peaked at #52 nationwide.

I'd never thought much about the lyrics to Seven And Seven ...; I guessed they were just drug-addled random rhymes. I'm interested in what others might think. It has always been the best Love song. I didn't get why ... Little Red Book was popular at all.

I just had an epiphany about the possible meaning for the title of this song.

Besides Fourteen, Seven and Seven is Seagram's 7 with 7-Up (If someone orders "Seven and Seven", that's what the bartender is going to mix).

I don't know what new insight this might give us regarding the inscrutable lyrics, though.

Interpret these lyrics:

When I was a boy I thought about the times I'd be a man

I'd sit inside a bottle and pretend that I was in a can

In my lonely room I'd sit my mind in an ice cream cone

You can throw me if you wanna 'cause I'm a bone and I go

Oop-ip-ip oop-ip-ip - yeah

If I don't start cryin' it's because that I have got no eyes

My father's in the fireplace and my dog lies hypnotized Through a crack of light I was unable to find my way Trapped inside a night but I'm a day and I go

Oop-ip-ip oop-ip-ip, yeah!

It was '7 and 7 is' on the 45, and 'Seven & Seven Is' on the LP

Love's only top 40 hit in mid-1966

If you take just the first two lines and the title it sounds like child wanting to grow up and be an alcoholic and drink Seven-Up and Seagrams 7. When I first saw the post, I thought it was about the drink. I never checked out the rest. People on these boards already know I'm a 'stoner', I didn't want anyone thinking I was a drunk as well.

As I read the lyrics it seems Sara might have a point about masturbation.

"In my lonely room" -- It is a solitary practice

"ice cream cone" -- Dr. Ruth used to describe the male member as this for girls having trouble with BJs

"bone" -- self explanitory

"I have got no eyes" -- Isn't the practice said to make you blind

Using this evidence it's more clear what this song is about than "She Bop" by Cindy Lauper and "Dancing with Myself" by Billy Idol. "5 and 5" for a title would have made it real clear even though I've never seen it practiced with two hands even in movies. How many hands was Judge Reinhold using in "Fast times" when Phobe Cates walked into the bathroom? Or Tom Cruise in "Risky Business" before he decided to call the prostitute?

Excuse this dense old man, but you young folks are driving me to Seven & Seven with your shortcut initial-letter phrases.

Like what does ROTF-LMOA mean?

I see LOL on these boards a lot. I thought that meant Lots of Luck, but it doesn't seem to be used that way (Little Old Lady?).

Y'all can cut the IMO and IMHO any time. I know an opinion or a humble opinion when I read one.

Having to decipher this stuff is FUBAR.

OK larla3298

It's ' Fogged-Up Beyond All Recall'.

Now please explain what's with your using 'a/b' in place of 'about'? That's pretty darn strange, even if it is two less keystrokes.

Anyway, thanks for keeping me hip. Now we can get back to the serious work of proving absolutely that this song is a/b drunken masturbation.

• 2 weeks later...

LOVE IS ALIVE

1031_30.jpg

In December 2001 Arthur Lee was released from prison after serving six years of a twelve year sentence (see Summer Of Love and All You Need Is Love). By June 2002 he was playing to a sell-out crowd in London, and was lionized by members of Parliament (see 60s Star Meets MPs). A new version of Love with Arthur Lee is currently on tour (see the Official Tour Site).

NEWS (to me at least): 0n June 29, 2004, Rush released an EP titled > " Feedback ".

This album 'covers' and pays tribute to songs made popular by The Who, The Yardbirds, Buffalo Springfield, Cream -- and includes Seven And Seven Is by Love.

Alice Cooper covered Seven And Seven Is on the 1981 "Special Forces" album. There are a few differences in the Cooper lyrics < [it's neither "Father" nor "Bible", but "My Clock ... in the fireplace". And "Oom! Biff biff!" ("Oom pah pah" according to another website) replaces the "Oop-ip-ip" which - parenthetically - brings Shemp Howard to my mind]

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know about the lyrics, but since Rush covered "7&7 Is", I started an online search for other bands that covered it. So far, including Alice Cooper and the Ramones, I had found no less than 8 artists that recorded "7&7 Is". Then I found a compilation disc that has three more covers of the song, along with multiple covers of other songs from Love's first two albums. (Let's see ... that makes eleven so far!)

The CD is "Various Artists - Sixties Rebellion Volume 8: Mondo Mutiny and the Love", available from Amazon.com and Overstock.com. It also includes a song by the Sons of Adam, who included Love's drummer from "Da Capo" and "Forever Changes", Michael Stuart-Ware. There is one song on there I'm not familiar with, "Can't Go On". Anyone familiar with that as a song by Love or the Sons of Adam? This one is by The Souls of the Slain.

BTW, I would highly recommend "The Forever Changes Concert" for all Love fans. With Baby Lemonade and a small orchestra backing Arthur Lee, it is like a super-digitally enhanced version of the original Love album.