The best harmonies?

Sweet Jane 61

I will probably be attacked for this so before saying so I would first like to say you all came up with some good groups.

In my opinion harmonizing is not any more perfect then when done to DooWop. Some of the great harmonizing groups of all time were DooWop groups.

The Platters with Tony Williams is definitely one of my favorites. Eugene Pitt and the Jive Five, The Penguins, Five Satins, The Duprees and Jimmy Beaumont and the Skyliners are also among my favorites.

Another genre that I believe did real well harmonizing were the soul groups of the seventies. In that bunch I would put The Stylistics, The Chi-lites, The Whispers and The Temptations.

I will probably be attacked for this so before saying so I would first like to say you all came up with some good groups.

In my opinion harmonizing is not any more perfect then when done to DooWop. Some of the great harmonizing groups of all time were DooWop groups.

The Platters with Tony Williams is definitely one of my favorites. Eugene Pitt and the Jive Five, The Penguins, Five Satins, The Duprees and Jimmy Beaumont and the Skyliners are also among my favorites.

Another genre that I believe did real well harmonizing were the soul groups of the seventies. In that bunch I would put The Stylistics, The Chi-lites, The Whispers and The Temptations.

Jimmy...these are great groups!! Great post!

Well, most of you are probably too young, but I think the Mills Brothers (Paper Doll, Glow Worm, etc) were the greatest 40s/50s harmonisers I've heard. Others older than me would say the Ink Spots. The Platters covered songs of both those Groups; I like The Platters best, but as Jimmy implied, they were lost after Tony Williams left, replaced by Sonny Turner.

I still think the Everly Brothers are #1 though. Simon and Garfunkel rate highly, but I think it was more a case of each of their voices complementing the other. Art Garfunkel's soaring tenor on "Bridge Over Troubled Water" makes it the #1 Song of the 70s for me, but he could have sung it solo.

If you have a close listen to the Hollies you'll hear why I mentioned them. And I'd certainly put The Eagles in my Top 10. I love the Beach Boys, but their harmonies stray on some songs, as do The Beatles (who cares though)!

Keep up the good work - fine choices so far !