David Strathairn picked for role in Marshall U. film

rtstuff

Actor David Strathairn, who is currently up for an Oscar as best actor in George Clooney's film about Edward R. Murrow, has been picked to play the role of Marshall University president Dedmon in the upcoming film about the plane crash.

Strathairn now joins actors Matthew McConughey and Matt Fox as one of the main characters focused on in the film.

I remember the number of funerals that president Dedmon attended in a short period of time had to be just absolutely gut wrenching. I attended just one of my friend Gene Morehouse who was the play by play announcer for the local radio station. Just that one had an emotional toll on myself.

This now leaves just two major roles left for the production. A young African-American kid who was on the team that didn't make the trip due to injury, and an actress that will play a love interest. It will be interesting who they get to play the young player, Nate Ruffin, who by the way passed away a few years ago after a battle with Leukemia. Nate is buried about a half mile from my home along with sevral of his buddies that were lost on the plane.

Please forgive me if I seem a little overzealous with this topic. This means so much to me, my school and my community. I feel this event will bring this story full circle.

rtstuff MU 1971

Dedicated to the "75"

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the Marshall and Central Florida basketball game last night and the director of the Marshall Movie was there. He was recording sounds and cheer for the upcoming Marshall film. The film hopes to premier in Los Angelas and Huntington on November 10th. That would put it four days before the crash date of Nov. 14th.

The director said that the next time he would be in Huntington it would be with Matthew McConughey.

I put my name on a list to be a movie extra. I hope I make the cut, but you just never no. They may be looking for college age kids which would definitely leave me out. Filming in Huntington, my home town, is expected to beging on April 3.

rtstuff

"We are Marshall"

Dedicated to the "75"