Something to "Pond"-er.

Sweet Jane 61

Thanks for the input Phil. And you are correct, without Blues and R&B I guess music would really be different. I really regret bringing up this topic. Oh well.

I thought it was an interesting topic. I've read it without contributing to it (until the Kajagoogoo comment), because I didn't have any salient comment to make, and the "classic rock" (ie pre 1976) isn't really my bag. The thread went off at a bit of a tangent there, but the main discussion was interesting enough.

The people were stimulated enough to engage in a debate: you really shouldn't regret bringing the subject up.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jane, you are wonderful and I love you and you have just as much right to have an opinion and to start a thread as anyone else. Things usually go off the rails around here...it's just the way of the world. We had an entire thread devoted to the Emerald Nuts commercials, for land's sake. I'll have no more talk like that from you, young lady. :grin:

-------------------------------------------

How in the world did I miss this?

Damn you, Simon LeBon. Why'd you have to be so dashing?

I stand by my damning of Simon LeBon.

I will have no more damning of Simon LeBon, das. Just think, as dashing as he might have been back then, he is nowhere near as dashing as you are right now. :googly:

I agree with what Phil said. I don't think the Brits were better at music, they were just good at taking Blues and R&B and packaging it so that the white kids would listen to it, and it became mainstream.

As for today's music, there are good and bad acts on both sides of the pond.

That's my two cents.

I will not regret it anymore. I am just so passionate when I talk music and with my work that is all day and we talk about so many things in the music world here at work. All expressing an opinion. I try to sound intelligent, but my passion takes over and thoughts just flow to the keyboard, you should hear me talking. I get fired up at times! :D

I think too that the type of music that kids are exposed to probably makes a big difference. no offense but the music that they are exposed to is just so manufactured. In thirty years will there be serious discussions about Britney Spears, Kelly Clarkson, Shakira? Even bands like Green Day, Semisonic, Dishwalla and Smashmouth. I am not trying to single these out, they're just a sample of the entire pop genre today. there is no staying power for most of what's being produced. Even when they have 'something to say' it all becomes secondary to whether or not the kids will buy it. the kids don't care about messages, they care about being 'cool' and part of the group.

OK I'm through now..I didn't plan on going on a tangent...must of hit a nerve. :crazy: :crazy:

As much as it pains me to defend (to a degree) today's music scene I will admit that I think there are a lot of good bands out now. You have to sort through the crap to get to them, which I have made easier by getting satellite radio, but you can find some.

There's crap in every era. Even the "heyday" of the 60's and 70's was filled with fluff, but since we're now removed from it we can wrongly assume that everything then was great. We're just not slapped in the face with it like we are with current stuff. But we would've been if we were there. And I'm sure posters here who were there would be quick to point that out.

Oh yes there was crap in the 70's! I remember songs coming out and my friends and I hating the song. Funny thing is, I can't remember too many of those songs because I kept with the better groups of the times and have been listening to them ever since. So in 20 years from now I wonder who of today's artists will be left standing?