Something to "Pond"-er.

Sweet Jane 61

We have talked about this at work quite a few times and everyone has their opinion. When you look at classic rock artists, most are from across the pond or another country other than America. We did a top 100 classic artists countdown back in July here at the station, and very few American artists were in the countdown. And when I look at what people love to listen to you get Zeppelin, Stones, The Who, AC/DC, The Beatles, Bad Company, Eric Clapton, Joe Cocker, Thin Lizzy, Blue Oyster Cult, Fleetwood Mac, Ruch, The Guess Who, Queen, INXS, Cream, Bowie, The Kinks, Elton John, Neil Young and so on. But you do have American artists in there...Bruce, Tom Petty, John Mellencamp, The Dead, Aerosmith, Allman Brothers, Janis, Van Halen, ZZ Top, and so on there too. Is it that music is focused on more in other countries? Taught more in schools? re What are the opinions of my fellow SF's? I am curious about this matter, very curious.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a grander artistic tradition in Europe than in the US, but those countries are also centuries older.

You can't just put up the US against England, Ireland, Canada, Australia, etc. The odds aren't square. But if you took those countries individually I'd bet things would be pretty even as far as ratios.

I think we did a poll on this one time Jane...Uk vs. USA....and I'm not sure of what the results were...I think the UK had more votes, but maybe it was pretty much even...I personally love both...some have similar styles, and some are completely different..I guess it's all classic to me!....Hey you got Eagles in your list? :thumbsup:

I didn't mean to have this sound like it was a contest, America Vs. everyone, I was looking for your thoughts on why so many classic bands have come from other countries. When we have talked about it here at work some think that music is more available to kids, as in school and along those lines. Not that one place has better artists.

I think VH1...has something on "Save The Music" program.....music probably is more available to children, the opportunities and such in other countries.....They also say that children who study music do better in Math and in other subjects also....while bringing out the creativity in them also.

I didn't mean to have this sound like it was a contest, America Vs. everyone, I was looking for your thoughts on why so many classic bands have come from other countries.

Ideally good music is universal. Everyone knows Led Zeppelin, Van Morrison, Elvis, etc., because they have a broad appeal. To a degree the music of these artists is influenced by their respective cultures, but not as much as people like Edith Piaf or Lale Anderson.

As Edna said the language has a lot to do with it, but there's more to it than that. "Regional" artists are called such for good reason - their appeal is more concentrated because of the language and the strong influence of their country's traditional music. The more "classic" artists (Beatles, etc.) appeal to a broader audience because there isn't as much exclusivity in their music.

I don´t know, there are many countries, many schools, many families, it depends... I don´t know about European countries, I only lived in France and in Spain. I guess it´s more or less the same everywhere, only each country has its own music on the radio, people understand the language so they will insist on that kind of music instead of English sung music...

I can´t really tell cause rock is the universal music for our generation.

You responded great! What we discuss here at work is why are there more classic rock artists from across the pond and such. And you talked about music history with European countries and I believe they do have better exposure to music throughout their whole lives.

not sure about that. what exactly do you mean by musical exposure?

I don´t even think there´s actually more classic rock from Europe than America... you mentionned many classic UK bands but there is also lots of other music... punk, reggae, ethnic... whatever... and classic rock, with its roots in blues, jazz, soul, comes from America.

well, also, you refer to european music when you are really talking about music from the uk

Yes, well... I mean music sung in English, even if it comes from ABBA or Scorpions or Falco... it´s a marketing thing...

I´m lost... :laughing:

Edited by Guest

I guess it is just easy to use the term European...I know the difference from the UK...

and I think the exposure to music in schools here in America is fading...due to costs and that is sad. And I think that other countries appreciate music maybe more than we do in America, being so strong in their history and heritage. Maybe I should just stop talking about this subject.

no no no, sorry, didn't mean to be rude or anything. it's just that i am not sure that we get more exposure to music while in school in europe, but i have no idea what the exposure is in the us.

also, i think it makes the argument slighlty different if you examine why british music is so popular compare to american music. that's the only reason i pointed it out