Your favorite work of art?

Otokichi

I feel so out of the loop! I think I lack appreciation for these things... or I haven't seen enough to reach a judgement.

Of course, the little I have seen of Indian artists seem to be quite nonsensical, overly overpriced and make me wonder WHY would anyone buy that? I could do a better job! Some are just smudges and some are just random brushstrokes... and so many of them don't even stay in the lines!

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love anything by Monet. I was in awe when I saw his works at the Chicago Museum of Art.

I alao like Remmington sculptures. They are pure Americana.

I am also into wildlife limited edition prints. I really like Ray Harm, Gene Gray, and Guy Colliach sp?

As far as I was concerned Picaso's were junk even though I wouldn't mind owning one.

rtstuff

I like anything by Rene Magritte, especially Time Transfixed:

I'm also a fan of the Surrealists, especially Magritte, ever since i had to do a paper on them in school.

magrittepipe8wy.jpg

The text says: This is not a pipe

I had to think awhile (and read a book) before i understood that.

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...

I'm a bit surprised nobody has mentioned Soviet/Russian avant-garde, especially Constructivism. What with the rise of fame of Franz Ferdinand and their obvious cover art influence from Rodchenko's works. I liked that style before it became a fad to use in those cheezy "obey" posters that litter the streets of Los Angeles and San Diego. Thankfully, there is still Italian Futurism to be had. Every facet of that art movement is nothing short of magnificence... and, yes, the stories are true: They were Fascists. Okay, okay. Let's try another one. Before The Matrix was ever conceived, before there was Cubo-Futurismo, before there was Futurismo, before Cubismo even! There was Marcel Duchamp:

duchamp-Nude_Descending_No-2-1912-2.jpg

I like Duchamp but I wouldn´t say he is "before Cubism"... let´s say Cubism started some years before he painted the picture you posted (it´s "Nude descending a staircase", is it right?) He was part of it even if he didn´t want to participate or be in the group (I mean, Picasso, Léger, Braque, etc...)

Edited by Guest

There you´re right (about moderate paintings)... I just checked about the picture, it´s from 1912 but I was wrong, it´s not "stairway" but "staircase", I just edited the post... but Cubism started in the early 1900, so that picture is from those days, I believe.

Anyways, I don´t know much about art...

:)

Edited by Guest

thescream.jpg

The Scream

I saw this painting a few years back and it just stuck with me, I love the feel of it and the pain. I researched Edvard Munch and this is what I found. He has some amazing works of art.

Edvard Munch was a Norwegian artist whose brooding and anguished paintings and graphic works, based on personal grief and obsessions, were instrumental in the development of expressionism.

Born in Løten, Norway, on December 12, 1863, Munch began painting at the age of 17 in Christiania (now Oslo). A state grant, awarded in 1885, enabled him to study briefly in Paris. For 20 years thereafter Munch worked chiefly in Paris and Berlin. At first influenced by impressionism and postimpressionism, he then turned to a highly personal style and content, increasingly concerned with images of illness and death.

In 1892, in Berlin, an exhibition of his paintings so shocked the authorities that the show was closed. Undeterred, Munch and his sympathizers worked throughout the 1890's toward the development of German expressionist art. Perhaps the best known of all Munch's work is The Scream (1893, Nasjonalgalleriet, Oslo). This, and the harrowing The Sick Child (1881-86, Nasjonalgalleriet), reflect Munch's childhood trauma, occasioned by the death of his mother and sister from tuberculosis. Melancholy suffuses paintings such as The Bridge —in limp figures with featureless or hidden faces, over which loom the threatening shapes of heavy trees and brooding houses. Reflections of sexual anxieties are seen in his portrayals of women, alternately represented as frail, innocent sufferers or as lurid, life-devouring vampires.

In 1908 Munch's anxiety became acute and he was hospitalized. He returned to Norway in 1909 and died in Oslo on January 23, 1944. The relative tranquillity of the rest of his life is reflected in his murals for the University of Oslo (1910-16), and in his vigorous, brightly colored landscapes. Although his later paintings are not as tortured as his earlier work, a return to introspection marks his late self-portraits, notably Between Clock and Bed (1940, Munch Museet, Oslo).

Munch's considerable body of etchings, lithographs, and woodcuts is now considered a significant force in modern graphic art; the work is simple, direct, and vigorous in style, and powerful in subject matter. Few of Munch's paintings are found outside Norway. His own collection is housed in the Munch Museet.

I know much about wikipedia ;)

:laughing: :laughing:

Wikipedia is very good!! :bow: That´s where I checked the year of Duchamp´s picture... I was sure it was in the MoMA so I waisted some precious five minutes looking in the catalog index... but nope, it wasn´t there, so let´s go to Wiki...

;)

Jane , wasn't "The Scream " stolen a few years ago ( in one of the easiest heists ever ) , and as far as I know , still never been recovered ?

Who knows ? Maybe you'll be able to pick it somewhere . :D

I think there's more than one of "The Scream" by Munch and, yes, one of them was stolen and never recovered.

Edited by Guest