Your favorite work of art?

Otokichi

Rambling through the last.fm message boards, I came across this question, ready made for parents, amateur painters, "American Idol" candidates, etc. Most mentioned a painting or drawing, so I nominated a sculpture, found in New York harbor, that has been seen by countless immigrants, an abstraction made real by the labor and coins of many, The Statue of Liberty. :beatnik:

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know we have covered this one before, a long long time ago :(

I just can't find the thread as the search function is screwy...still!!

Anyway, my favourite works (again) are Jackson Pollock's Autumn Rhythm and Edward Much's The Scream. I have many others that I really like (I love the work of Escher, Giacometti and Gustav Klimpt) and plenty more.

I guess studying art also helped :)

i must say, i do love sculpture. maybe because it's tactile, i don't know. one of my faves has to be michaelangelo's david! there's another one i like which i doubt anyone will know, it's an ancient greek one which is displayed in the museum in delphi, it's called iniohos, which translates to charioteer. I found a photo of it here

I love two Museums, The MoMA and The Prado. I use to go to the Prado to relax. El Greco (Greek-Spanish painter) is amazing.

I´d love to have "The cow with the subtile nose" (Dubuffet) in my living room. I am touched by Braque, Kandinsky and Pollock...

And it´s weird but I love "Marat assassiné dans sa baignoire", Jean-Louis David.

magritteempirebruss5hg.jpg

René Magritte. "L´empire des lumières". :bow:

6222907d388b7f1f2m3wn.jpg

Picasso´s goat.

I rather like my paintings with the little numbers all over them. I just hate that you have to cover the numbers up with the paint.

:grin:

I like realism. Dali's stuff makes me kind of ill. And abstracts are beyond my meager skills at deciphering, I just don't get them. Picasso's a little out there for me, too. I have boring stuff in my home, like a tiger print that looks so real you almost feel he's in the room, and two lion prints - one of a mama lion and the other of her babies peeking over the top of the grass. Guess I'm just feline at heart. :crazy:

Rachel - thank you! She is an artist, and her hobby is being an elementary school art teacher. She's very nonchalant about her talent, so I try to whore it out whenever possible.

Kevin - also thanks to you and your wife. I've been trying to get her to make me a velvet Stevie Wonder, but she just won't do it. I'll let you know if she caves.

I saw that Foxy! I about split my sides laughing! Of all the many times I've watched that movie, it took renting a copy on DVD for me to see that particular bit. Well worth it.

Kevin - there's a park by my hometown that you would appreciate. Legoland. Give it a whirl. :grin:

Calsbad it is, Ron. Great place for adults and small children, but in-between children, not so much. There's not much to do for a child who's over about 7 and under about 20. They get bored fast there.

Oh, and stockpile a wad of bills because a little hamburger, small order of fries and a medium coke cost me $12.00.