9. It's Halloween

10. Why Do I Feel?

11. What Should I Do?

12. We Have a Savior

Betty Wiggin Porter - rhythm guitar

Dorothy Wiggin Semprini - lead guitar and vocals

Helen Wiggin - drums

Rachel Wiggin - bass guitar

In a 1970 issue of Playboy magazine, Frank Zappa named "Philosophy of the World" his third favorite album. Many alternative music afficionados consider "Philosophy of the World" one of the most important albums in alternative music. It has been praised for being "important" and "honest and earnest" and "original." Well, I'm going to tell you right now, "Philosophy of the World" is the worst album I have ever had the misfortune to listen to.

The music in this album is quite terrible. It seems as if each member of the band is playing in a different tempo and time signature. The two guitarists (and bassist on one song) are out of tune. None of them have any talent in musicianship. At this point in the review, you may be thinking "well Batman, who cares about technical skill, I bet they're still good songwriters!" Let me tell you, they are terrible songwriters as well. All the songs sound like something you'd find in a beginner's guitar book. No interesting chord structures or anything. All the songs sound incredibly similar, and they all give me a headache.

Snobby music afficionados will praise this album forever, simply because they want to impress those who haven't heard the same terrible albums they have. Cub Koda, from the All Music Guide, is one of the mentioned afficionados. His statements regarding the album are completely ridiculous. I would like to examine a few of these now, as he seems to speak for many music snobs.

"The guilelessness that permeates these performances is simply amazing, making a virtue out of artlessness"

I agree that the album is artless and guileless, but that doesn't mean it's enjoyable to listen to.

"There's an innocence to these songs and their performances that's both charming and unsettling."

There's also a charming innocence to a child whacking a Fisher Price xylophone.

"creating dissonance and beauty, chaos and tranquility"

Beauty? What beauty?! This album is ugly. And tranquility? Try boredom.

"causing any listener coming to this music to rearrange any pre-existing notions about the relationships between talent, originality, and ability."

If there is a person enjoys this enough that it changes their opinion on what good music is, that person does not deserve to listen to music. I'm usually all for the "different strokes for different folks" approach to music, but if you enjoy this album, I'm sorry, but you really do have bad taste in music.

"There is no album you might own that sounds remotely like this one."

Phew! That's a relief!

By the way, that quote is another example of a music snob bragging about his knowledge of music.

This album is a prime example of the terrible things that can happen when music takes the back seat to a band. You can praise them for their individuality, innocence, and honestness, but none of those things help their music, and thus, they should not be praised as a band.

F-

Edited by Guest

• 3 weeks later...