Opposite of "anachronism"

Otokichi

Here's another IMDb post begging for the right word to describe predictions for the future that didn't happen. This would cover the "Martian/Moon colonies of the 1980's" predicted by writers in the 1950's. The closest I could come up with was "protoptimistic" to describe a missed prediction of the future. So, "anachronism" is King Arthur using a Cellular telephone as "X" is Pan American Spaceways starting nonstop flights to the Mars Colonial Spaceport. By the way, "para anachronism" has also been suggested. :stars:

Edited by Guest
Spelling counts, also.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is no more than a hunch, and I have no dictionaries nearby to verify it, but my theory runs thus...

Since "anachronism" refers to something which is incorrectly located in time, the word already contains a notion of negation in the form of the prefix "ana". Therefore, the removal of this negatory prefix should leave a word meaning "correctly located in time": the opposite of an "anachronism", namely a "chronism".

Anybody getting moist yet? :P

I meant my conclusion regarding the correct opposite of anachronism, not your suspected pescophilia... :doh:

I invented that word by the way: in all probability it is a totally erroneous fabrication, wrecklessly combining Latin and Greek components .

If I had been more meticulous...what is the opposite of "wreckless" anyway...?

I couldn't get past you finding out my horrible secret. No, it doesn't matter that your conclusion is based on speculation. It sounded right, and that's all that matters.

I'd never heard that word, but I could tell what it meant. Maybe you should patent it?

The only thing reckless about it was your spelling of "reckless". ;)

(You know, I really should know better than to pick on Blind-Fitter, of all people, about grammar/spelling. I know that I will pay for it, but I couldn't help it. I should've at least made the joke funnier so it would be worth the inevitable backlash.)

Edited by Guest
to include desperate disclaimer/psuedo-apology

The only thing reckless about it was your spelling of "reckless". ;)

:blush: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh::doh::doh:

This may be a "winking" matter to you, Mr Fish-Fingers; to me the impact is...(stifles a sob)...infinitely more grievous. When you've had the kind of upbringing I've had...when your self-esteem, nay, your whole sense of identity is so ...when your inability to bring a sentence to a satisfactory conclusion is....

I'm not saying my parents were cruel as such, but their standards were, shall we say, exacting, especially with regard to spelling and, to a lesser degree, grammar. (On the peripheral issue of excessive (and unnecessary) verbiage- a practice which has thus far resisted all manner of remedial strategies (some more successful than others though, it has to be said)- their otherwise most stringent standards could be described as "lax", (amongst other things).

What may appear a simple spelling error to you, means (to me):self-recrimination, social isolation, an appointment with the doctor, a week off work, (which, as I am a public servant, costs the tax-payer)and- why not let's be open about it- in all probability, loss of libido, (with the concomitant marital stress that entails...)

So it's all very well you winking...you obviously haven't thought this through like I have.

You know who I blame for this...this...this debacle? Wreckless Eric. You know Wreckless Eric? Composer / performer of the classic "(I'd go the) Whole Wide World", contemporary and labelmate of Ian Dury and The Blockheads , Elvis Costello, etc. If Eric Goulden hadn't been so (bleep) reckless as to mis-spell reckless as "wreckless" in his own nom de plume, I wouldn't have spent my entire adult life confidently but recklessly spelling it incorrectly. How many times must I have repeated this error, remaining blissfully oblivious to my recklessness. The shame... the shame is almost too much to contemplate.

Thank you Das, from my heart's bottom, for having the courage to challenge my reckless spelling of "reckless", despite your understandable fear of reprisals. Only through being forced to face my demons will I ever be able to truly conquer them. I forgive your halibut-hugging ways, however perverse they may appear...You are......MY SAVIOUR!

i believe that should be ichthyophilia, from the ancient greek for fish, which is ichthyis

Thank you , Invisible! You're absolutely right.

This is so cool! First I am saved from a case of terminal mis-spelling malaise, now this splendid piece of etymological advice. Things just get better and better!

Altogether now!...

"Happy days are here again

The skies above are clear again

So let's sing a song of cheer again

Happy days are here again

Altogether shout it now

There's no one

Who can doubt it now

So let's tell the world about it now

Happy days are here again!"

:):)