Classical music & "Pop' Tarts"

Otokichi

Please excuse the odd subject line, but it's better than the original IMDB post expressing intense dislike of Pop/Rock musicians mixing it up with Opera singers or symphony orchestras, so:

1. Pop/Rock singers doing duets with Pop/Rock stars.

2. Rock bands appearing with symphony orchestras.

Instance #1: Not being a big fan of Opera, I can't recall a Pop/Rock star singing a duet with the likes of, say, Kiri Te Kanawa or Frederica von Stade. (So I considered Rod Stewart trying to keep up with a vigorous Soprano...It's not a pretty picture.)

As for #2, The Siegal-Schwall Blues Band and the SF Symphony, conducted by Seiji Ozawa is the earliest example I can think of. Frank Zappa also played with a symphony orchestra, doing his unique take on composition/performance.

Sorry if I've put you to sleep, so Wake Up! and tell me if these two musical pairings are execrable or merely interesting. :jester:

Edited by Guest
Subject line too long; "Pop' Tarts" phrase needed

While I can't see Zappa playing with any Philharmonic or Symphony orchestra, there are plenty who have and have included them in albums. Elton John I believe has two albums where the orchestras are part of the live album. "Here and There" is one of the albums. Others who have performed with symphonies off the top of my head are Rick Wakeman and Queen.

On the other hand, I am right now scratching my head trying to remember who may have dueted with an opera star. I actually thought Elton did but am having trouble thinking of any by him.

Alanis Morrisette did a live performance at the Grammys with an orchestral accompaniment the year she won for best record with "You Oughtta Know." I have the CD for that because I thought it was far and away better than the studio recording on her album.

There's an old Barry Manilow song, "Could It Be Magic," where he uses an orchestral backup.

And Meatloaf on his "Bat Out Of Hell" album uses an orchestral backup for "For Crying Out Loud" - by the way, my favorite song off that album.

Procol Harem recorded a live album in 1972 with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra and I believe The Moody Blues used orchestras on several of their recordings. As mentioned earlier, Rick Wakeman has often utilized symphony or chamber orchestras on his recordings.

• 3 weeks later...

Point taken and actually the Moody Blues is probably a pretty good example since they recorded with the London Symphony Orchestra. I was thinking in terms of 10 studio guys who play orchestral instruments not really following the original posters intent. Thanks for bringing me down to earth.