TV Guilty Pleasures

Tenacious_Peaches

Along with PBS' "Beads, Baubles,and Jewels," I record a number of cooking shows for MSO. "America's Test Kitchens," "Martin Yan's Chinatowns," "Simply Ming," "Real Simple," and "Everyday Food" are quite interesting, so I can't resist checking out these shows before handing them over. :popcorn:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And?

hmm, I was thinking a mixture of starters so salad, grilled haloumi chesse, meatballs, maybe fava, generally very greek

then as a main, as I rarely eat meat, I would go for something like stuffed tomatoes with rice or possibly a mousaka (again with the greek theme)

I don't really cook desserts so I don't know about that, I could try and make halva, which is a semolina cake flavoured with cinnamon, but if I was playing it safe I would go for brownies or a fruit salad

hmm, I was thinking a mixture of starters so salad, grilled haloumi chesse, meatballs, maybe fava, generally very greek

then as a main, as I rarely eat meat, I would go for something like stuffed tomatoes with rice or possibly a mousaka (again with the greek theme)

I don't really cook desserts so I don't know about that, I could try and make halva, which is a semolina cake flavoured with cinnamon, but if I was playing it safe I would go for brownies or a fruit salad

Mmmm, now that sounds good. I love a good mousaka and how do you prepare the fava beans? Oil and chopped scallions? Cooked until just soft enough to eat but not so soft that they leak through the skins? I've never had haloumi cheese. What's it similar to?

Good idea, Kev. Hmm, what forum? I suggest that when giving a recipe you also recommend music to accompany the meal or to play while preparing the dish.

fava is ridiculously easy to make, you just rinse them and boil them for an hour (I think) and about half way through I add some onions. then when its reduced considerably and its all soft you blend it, add oil, salt pepper and serve with some chopped onions on top. It's basically like a dip

haloumi cheese is a cypriot cheese that is quite chewy and the benefit is that is stays solid while cooking so you can grill it like meat. it's delicious! i find it quite similar to paneer, if you've ever tried that

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

- Hoarders: morbid curiosity to see the dysfunctional and crazy lives of hoarders.

- Buried Alive: same as Hoarders.

- Packrats: same as Hoarders and Buried Alive, except it mainly focuses on crappy, weird, strange, interesting, and/or possibly valuable collections... AND they revel in their insane compulsion to collect.

- American Pickers: like Antique Roadshow, except it's ON the road and they encounter crazy hoarders.

- Pawn Stars: it's like Antique Roadshow, except people bring crazy s*** to a pawn store.