Warm-up band was better than headliner

phil

Have you ever gone to a concert and the first band blows the headliner out of the water. I went to a Dave Mason show years ago and the opening band was a then not so famous Little Feat and they were the highlight of the evening. This ever happen to you?

Rory Gallagher was someone I always wanted to see, but unfortunately I never did.

I saw him a couple of times in the mid seventies... wow!!! :blush: Besides, it was one of first concerts I saw. He played for... hours!!

The J.Geils Band opened for the Stones in 1982. Of course, The Stones were amazing but JGB was just incredible.

China Crisis opened for Simple Minds many years ago, they were fantastic. Simple Minds were boring as usual.

Hey! I saw Jewel open for Neil. Wasn't that back before she was famous? I just remember being really mad that she had a Taylor guitar and I didn't.

I also had a spell where Candlebox opened for every band I went to see (Rush and Living Colour are the most notable). I finally stopped showing up on time in hopes of never hearing Candlebox again. They still haunt me to this day.

I never heard of her (Jewel) at that point. I was with a friend and we were listening to her...I said to him, "I bet you $10 she starts to yodel" He took the bet and it wasn't 5 minutes before she was in full yodel. He just looked at me with that "How did you know that" look. It was a gut feeling that she was going in that direction.

When I saw Def Leppard, Ricky Warwick (of The Almighty) supported them, he was fantastic, but Def Leppard were unforgettable.

Another support act was a band called 'Must' they were really unusual, and I haven't been able to find their website for the last year or so :(

Unless these are some of their songs >lyrics<

Here is some more on them and it looks like their homepage www.mustband.com no longer exists.

If this is them, they have an impressive write up!

Their music, much like their title, is simple, straightforward and powerful, their lyrics, contemplative without complexity, forlorn and somewhat fragile-to use sample verses from "Bubblegum Sleaze," their gritty opening track, "Lord knows I needed change, a total getaway, from that opaque head state," and "Rust," a mellower follow up, "It's easy to be weak, but in the end the curse is to forsake tomorrow's riches…"

Led by Dave Ireland's rough, raspy, and occasionally reticent vocals as the mood should call for, they begin life having created a masterpiece of dynamics and derivative Rock designs without bowing out to expectations or pseudo-Pop trends.

Their stop on a dime instincts allow an emotional taciturn like "Very Wicked," to come alive as would an Anne Rice

romance, then quickly slam the cover on the turbulent "One Night Stand," tearing off the sheets, shutting down the lights and letting the "fantasy run wild."

Must impresses on a number of levels, but their main draw revolves around the strength of the album as a whole, each

song carefully crafted, carving its own niche, whether it be full-bore Hard Rock, ambient ballads, or flighty dance and dub beats.

They've created a modern day Zeppelin IV without the three record head start and merged the minds behind U2 supergroup-ism with soul drenching appeal, effectively a Soundgarden reprisal for Sun King Pumpkin Smashing

devotees of a Rock n' Roll religion.

Thats the one Sue!! :bow:

I didn't hear alot of their music, as they weren't on long, but the song 'Freechild' is really good, I don't remember alot else!

mmmmust.jpg

Dave Ireland is a real strange person on stage - he does all these weird dances, but it really keeps you mystified...!

I'm pretty sure you would like them Sue, and maybe Diggs/blind-fitter etc...