Sweet Jane 61

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I want to thank bazooka for reminding me about Tracy Nelson and Mother Earth. I had not listened to her in over 20 years and basically forgot about her, I know bad, bad girl! I didn't own any of her albums, a friend of mine back in high school loved her and we would listen together. I am thrilled to be turned on to Tracy again and will be getting some CD's to listen to very soon. Thanks again bazooka !! :)

Edited by Guest

I want to thank bazooka for reminding me about Tracy Nelson and Mother Earth.

I first got turned on to Tracy Nelson listening to a friend's album, the soundtrack to the 1968 movie Revolution .

I never saw the reportedly crappy film, but this record is great, featuring early music by Mother Earth, Quicksilver Messenger Service and The Steve Miller Band. Tracy's vocals on the title track Revolution and on Stranger In My Own Home Town just knocked me out.

And then in the summer of 1969 (holy moley! that's 37 years ago!) I saw Mother Earth live at the Fillmore West on a bill with John Mayall. Tracy performed Down So Low -- it has to be one of the most moving matches of singer with song in musical history.

Okay, my curiosity has been piqued. When Maria McKee was first out with her hit "Shelter" she was compared to Stevie Nicks. I like Maria McKee and I LOVE Stevie Nicks. So if this Tracy Nelson (whom I've never heard of) sounds like that, I'll have to have a listen. Any certain songs I should try first? Any particular albums you recommend? I can get stuff off iTunes.

(>) This would be a good place to start.

Janis Joplin may have gotten all of the fame and glory, but she was far from the only white female blues shouter to emerge from the San Francisco music scene of the mid-1960s; The Best of Tracy Nelson/Mother Earth is proof positive of that, providing an excellent introduction to one of the more sadly overlooked talents of her time and place. Despite any number of passing similarites to Joplin, Nelson sings with greater finesse; her style is more adaptable as well, capable of fitting comfortably into R&B, psychedelia and pop ballads, all the while remaining grounded in classic roots music traditions. Highlighted by her perennial Down So Low -- subsequently recorded by everyone from Linda Ronstadt to Etta James -- this 17-track compilation also spotlights performances spanning from a wrenching cover of Little Willie John's Need Your Love So Bad to contemporary material like Steve Young's Seven Bridges Road and John Hiatt's Thinking of You , offering a comprehensive overview of her earliest and most enduring work.