Have you ever turned someone on??

Sweet Jane 61

Ok now that I have your attention...LOL...have you ever turned someone you know onto a type of music you are into? I have a friend who is really not into the older Motown and soul sound of the 60's and 70's. He is starting to listen, but is hesitant at times. I am trying to pick artists that were the best, The Delfonics, Stevie Wonder, The Stylistics, The Spinners, and so on. I hope in the end he will listen to more of the soul style, he probably won't love it like I do, but may appreciate it more. I think we all should be open to other types of music, we may not embrace it, but we should take a listen before we make our judgement.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a musical trend leader for many people throughout my school years. Bowie was one of the artists I promoted very early on....and believe me, it wasn't easy promoting his look, or ideas in the early 70's. Once I got them to the music, I had them hooked.

I do the same thing these days with the blues.

I also have the task of steering my three kids in the right musical direction.

Hey! I turned Jenny on to Jellyfish. I hope she doesn't think they suck.

Nope, so far, so good!!!! Maybe you said it in your review, but are any of the members in current bands? The name Andy Sturmer stirs up some recollection, but I'm not sure what.

I don't think I've had that much influence on anybody's taste, but I think my husband has a greater tolerance for pop and I grew to really like Van Halen and ZZTop because of him.

Andy Sturmer (vocals, drums) pretty much just produces now, which is a shame. I think he is a brilliant lyricist, great singer and cool drummer (he plays standing up). Roger Manning, Jr., (keyboards, vocals) plays (or played) in Beck's band. He was also in the "Brady Bunch" movie. Jason Falkner (guitar) does a lot of solo indie stuff; some is pretty cool. Tim Smith (bass), I think, plays wth Sheryl Crow. And Jon Brion (guitar), of course, is an incredibly sought-after producer (Fiona Apple, Aimee Mann, Kanye West, Rufus Wainwright) and film-scorer (Eternal Sunshine..., I Heart Huckabees, all the Paul Thomas Anderson movies).

Thanks for indulging me by asking, Jenny! Oh, there is a Daryl Sturmer (or Darryl Stuermer, can't remember the spelling) who played with Genesis. Maybe that's who you're thinking of?

Thanks for indulging me by asking, Jenny! Oh, there is a Daryl Sturmer (or Darryl Stuermer, can't remember the spelling) who played with Genesis. Maybe that's who you're thinking of?

I don't know, but now that you mentioned Daryl Sturmer, I remember the "Billy, Don't Lose My Number" video where someone asks Phil Collins who's playing the guitar solo and he answers "Daryl Sturmer".

Don't you all hate me for knowing that much about a Phil Collins video?