Songlines ~ The Derek Trucks Band

Sweet Jane 61

"Songlines takes its name from an Aboriginal tradition which claims the culture's totemic elders traveled the Australian continent literally singing their world into existence. In turn, the "songlines" they created became a map for finding one's way through life."

I am fortunate to have heard this ablum already being in radio. And I have to say that I was impressed. I have been a fan of The Derek Trucks Band, but this album seems to stand out. There is a new lead vocal, Mike Mattison whose voice is powerful and soulful. You get to hear a wide variety of music in this new album...jazz, blues, rock, latin, and an assorted mix of musical styles. My fav cut is "I'll Find My Way", Mike Mattison's vocals just flow and the cut is bluesy and rockin' with some jazz in there. I loved it with only one listen. Derek Trucks still reminds us of his excellent guitar palying on this album. I still have to remind myself that he is so young, 24 and he has played with so many great artists such as Government Mule and Phil Lesh and Friends and he's one of the guitarists in the Allman Brothers Band. I feel that with this new album "Songline" The Derek Trucks Band has found what they were looking for...it all fits.

Tracks

1. Volunteered Slavery

2. I'll Find My Way

3. Crow Jane

4. Sahib Teri Bandi - Maki Madni

5. Chevrolet

6. Sailing On

7. Revolution

8. I'd Rather Be Blind, Crippled And Crazy

9. All I Do

10. Mahjoun

11. I Wish I Knew (How It Would Feel To Be Free)

12. This Sky

Take a listen...you won't be disappointed!!

• 2 weeks later...

Derek is still a member of the Allmans. Click for current lineup.

The first time I saw Susan Tedeschi was her 1999 tour with the Allmans. After they played, Derek stayed on stage with stars in his eyes watching Susan's show. He even joined her for a couple of songs (which was electrifying!) It was really cool to hear that they'd married a couple of years later :)

• 3 weeks later...

Trucks was interviewed on local radio this past week...he was a good interviewee...fun and interesting. A guy called in and said he saw Derek play at a mall when Derek was around 11 years old...and he wailed on guitar. Derek said, yep, that was him....he played a lot of malls, etc. to get where he is today. Sounded like a nice guy.