Great Classics

_Laurie_

I noticed the comments made on Chicago's "25 or 6 to 4 song in another thread...made me realize what an amazing song that is, definitely a classic...Here you can list what song you think has it all....lyrics, harmony, instrument wise...etc...and if you like, you can tell a little bit of why it makes it a classic song.

I think "Bohemian Rhapsody" is a great piece of work..I have many others, but I'll wait and see what comes up...

Edited by Guest

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll pick ten, one from each of my favorite pre-80s artists

1. Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Child (slight return)

2. Pink Floyd - echoes

3. Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

4. Led Zeppelin - Dazed and Confused

5. Black Sabbath - Iron Man

6. Funkadelic - Who Says a Funk Band Can't Play Rock?!

7. Yes - Roundabout

8. Mahavishnu Orchestra - Meeting of the Spirits

9. Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Tarkus

10. Genesis - Supper's Ready

Layla by Derek & The Dominos - That song has everything and is my favourite of all time. Other than that:

Night Moves by Bob Seger

Dream On by Aerosmith

And the two that Laurie picked, Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen and Light My Fire by The Doors.

Oh and Kashmir by Led Zeppelin is pretty perfect too. Those songs would all be on my greatest classics ever list.

American Pie: About rock icons

Stairway to Heaven; spell bounding

God Only Knows ; Great love song by the Beach Boys.

Unchanined Melody: Bobby Hatfield sure is in Rock and Roll Heaven after that one

Let It Be and Yesterday. These two by the lads from Liverpool define the "British Invasion"

Beth; A beautiful love song by an unlikely group of heavy metallers Kiss.

Respect and Pappa Was a Rolling Stone Define the Motown sound.

I feel Good: For the soul people James Brown

rtstuff

We Are Marshall

Let It Be and Yesterday. These two by the lads from Liverpool define the "British Invasion"

RT....I am not sure if I would say the two Beatle songs you mentioned define the British Invasion. When the British Invasion first arrived to the shores of these states the songs were more like bubblegum music. Besides the Beatles there was Herman's Hermits, Dave Clark Five, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Peter and Gordon, etc. The second wave was more rock than bubblegum and I would include the Rolling Stones, Animals and Yardbirds.

Gimme Shelter - Stones

All Along The Watchtower - Hendrix

Good Vibrations - Beach Boys

Lazy - Deep Purple

I Feel Good - James Brown

Chain Of Fools - Aretha Franklin

One Way Out- Allman Brothers

Like A Rolling Stone - Dylan

Whole Lotta Shakin' - Jerry Lee Lewis

You Really Got Me - Kinks

Born To Run - Springsteen

All Shook Up- Elvis

London Calling - The Clash

Among others....

"Reflections Of My Life" - Marmalade

Angst-filled lead vocal; perfect. Multi-part harmony; dead on. Bass riffs - Beatles caliber. Guitar solo; mood perfect. Lyrics - classic youthful questionings, "The world is a bad place, a bad place, a terrible place to live .... oh, but I don't want to die."

nice one S2V!

"Edge of Seventeen" by Stevie Nicks.

A great rock song by my favorite rock singer. This song exemplifies for me the sort of emotion that singers convey when the song is intensely personal - as this one was for her. The "white winged dove" is her uncle, who died of colon cancer, and the line "I went today, maybe I will go again tomorrow; the music there, well it was hauntingly familiar" is about her visits to him in the hospital.

Pitch perfect and raw emotion.