? Band that did this "You Ain't Going No Where"

pbar

This is actually a Bob Dylan song.

Dylan recorded a least a couple of versions himself (available on Greatest Hits Vol. 2 and Basement Tapes) and performed the song live often.

The song is best-known and made famous by the aforementioned "cover" done by The Byrds.

There are dozens more cover versions, most notably by The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and Joan Baez.

I'll have to disagree with Bazooka's use of the word "cover" when describing "You Ain't Going Nowhere" by The Byrds.

As I understand it, the word "cover" implies that somebody else had previously issued a commercial recording of the same song, which, in this case, Dylan had not.

The Byrds simply recorded, and had a hit with, a song written by Dylan. This does not make it a "cover". If it does, then 90% of all records issued must be covers.

Yeah MelP.

I used the quotation marks because I wasn't sure if "cover" applied in this case. Although it was common knowledge that You Ain't Going Nowhere was a Dylan song when The Byrds released it (1968), there was no commercial recording by Dylan around at that time. The Basement Tapes version might have been recorded before The Byrds, but not available until years later.

I guess it is not implausible that pbar has heard some real "cover" version by neither The Byrds nor Dylan.