Elvish

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And here's the first nominee...

The 5th Exotic - Quantic

quantic.jpg

This is one of the strangest and coolest albums I own.

In the trip-hop vein, with celestial samples and looping piano's, each track brings something new to for your listening pleasure.

Whether you are drawn into the infinite spiral of deep question and thought, or uplifted by the jazzy future beats and rough vocals - this album has a little something for everyone. Put it on in the bedroom, put it on in the cocktail bar, tune in and completely chill out.

Produced from Will Hollands bedroom, sampled tracks are sophisticated and draw you in as we question time and space and mysteries of physics.

Standout tracks are Life in the rain, Through these eyes, Snakes in the grass, Infinite regression, In the key of blue, Time is the enemy and the title track.

I usually listen to this one when I need to de-stress or have friends over for an evening in. I've only had compliments so far and it makes an interesting addition to my CD collection :)

Samples can be heard here

oasis "definitely maybe"

An album that takes me back loads, that makes me very nostalgic. An album from a band that hasn't done anything worth mentioning in a while now (I did buy the latest one because I loved "the importance of being ernest" but most of it is disappointing). "definitely maybe" was oasis' debut album, and a great album at that, very honest, even raw, one of the era-defining albums in my opinion. It contains my favourite oasis song, "live forever", which is beautiful and optimistic. it also contains other old time faves, such as "supersonic", "cigarettes and alcohol" and "rock 'n roll star". If you are ever going to buy an oasis album, this is the one to go for!

I want to reccomend a joy division album , "substance 1977-80 " is the one I have , but most believe that closer is their masterpiece (I never got around to buying it on cd because a friend gave me a copy of it on tape)

In any case, "substance" has my fave joy division songs, which I also had in permanent until the cd stopped playing because it was way too scratched from overplaying.

joy division, despite being so short-lived, were a very influential band, and many believe were the root of electronic dance music of the 80s onwards (well, new order were born from the ashes of joy division!) several more recent band , such as interpol and editors, also seem to be heavily influenced in sound and lyrical content by joy division.

"substance" and permanent" contain amazing tracks, including their greatest hit (i think) , that not-really-a-love-song "love will tear us apart". other amazing songs include "sshe's lost control" and "atmosphere". I think everyone should give them a listen at least once, otherwise they don't know what they are missing!

Thanks, Rachel.

By the way, we'll post a poll in a couple of weeks with what's been nominated. Probably will let it run a couple days and close it out. It'll give y'all some input - other than putting forth albums, of course. That's the ultimate way to have input :wink:

Sorry for the length of this post, but I get excited.

Jellyfish – “Spilt Milkâ€

This is one my “desert island†albums, and the best power-pop I have ever heard. The creativity is astonishing – brilliant lyrics, instantly memorable hooks, mind-blowing vocals (harmony and solo) and perfect arrangement and orchestrations. Jellyfish was essentially a two-man creative team with some “hired guns†to help on the recording. Andy Sturmer and Roger Manning wrote the songs. Andy played drums and guitar and sang the leads, and Roger played the various keyboards and sang the prominent harmonies. The two co-produced along with Jack Joseph Puig.

Another cool note about this album is that one of the hired guitarists was Jon Brion, who went on to become a hipster legend producing Aimee Mann, Fiona Apple, Rufus Wainwright and Kanye West. He also scores Paul Thomas Anderson’s films, and others like “Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mindâ€. Former Jellyfish member Jason Falkner formed an underground “supergroup†with Jon Brion after this album, called “The Graysâ€. (Hey, that’s another good one for the list.) Anyhoo, this wasn’t supposed to be about Jon Brion…Sorry!

The album starts with the sounds of a child’s restless sleep – thunderstorms and harps – then leads into “Hushâ€, a beautiful a cappella lullaby. It starts an odd mix of themes: “Joining A Fan Club†(idol worship), “Sebrina, Paste And Plato†(preschool), “New Mistake†(unplanned pregnancy), “The Glutton Of Sympathy†(self-loathing), “The Ghost At Number One†(dead rock stars), “Bye Bye Bye†(troubled marriage), “All Is Forgiven†(deceit), “Russian Hill†(nostalgia), “He’s My Best Friend†(masturbation), “Too Much, Too Little, Too Late†(a relationship ending) and “Brighter Day†(a carnival atmosphere). The album ends the way it began, though this time the peaceful sleep comes.

There were no hits from this album, but “He’s My Best Friend†was used in several movies. So nobody really remembers them, which is a shame because they’re missing out on one of the best pop albums ever created.

Awesome Dylan album...

The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan

Freewheelinbobdylan.jpg

"Blowin' in the Wind"

"Girl From The North Country"

"Masters Of War"

"Down The Highway"

"Bob Dylan's Blues"

"A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall"

"Don't Think Twice, It's All Right"

"Bob Dylan's Dream"

"Oxford Town"

"Talking World War III Blues"

"Corrina, Corrina"

"Honey, Just Allow Me One More Chance"

"I Shall Be Free"

i am also re-reccommending (lists 14-18)

»Mogwai: "Happy songs for happy people"«

Mogwai are a scottish post-rock band. I am terrible with genres but that's what people call it so i'll assume that's correct. basically, they play accoustic rock, with some vocals but not really lyrics. and surprise, surprise, accoustic music can be very emotional! eventhough there are no lyrics, so many emotions are conveyed through the music, which is absolutely beautiful, albeit quite depressing. my favorite tracks are "kids will be skeletons" and "kiiling all the flies".

People really need to take a look at Lifes Rich Pageant, a really strong but not so well known R.E.M. album.

It came about at the time in their career where they weren't super-huge big (that's be during Out of Time) or even mildly popular (that's be during Document and the radio-friendly singles The One I Love and Stand). The faster-paced songs also have an earest energy about them. It's hard not to dance along to "Just A Touch" or "Begin the Begin." Lifes Rich Pageant also has some of the most beautiful ballad songs I have ever heard on there ("The Flowers of Guatemala" and "Swan Swan H") and quirky lyrics that Michael Stipe was becoming famous (infamous?) for: "I Believe" and Underneath The Bunker."

Edited by Guest

I would like to nominate "The Stranger" by Billy Joel. This album is considered Joel's best, and I tend to agree.

The title track is my favorite, starting out with whistling, then a slow piano, and then electric guitars blasting in...then of course, there are great lyrics.

My second favorite is "Just the Way You Are", a song written for his first wife about unconditional love and accepting someone for exactly what they are and wanting nothing more.

There are other standouts, "Scenes From An Italian Restaurant", "Movin' Out" and "Vienna", but you really can't go wrong with this album.

The Chieftains – Live!

Released January 1st, 1977

1. Morning Dew

2. George Brabazon

3. Kerry Slides

4. Carrickfergus

5. Carolan’s Concerto

6. The Foxhunt

7. Round the House and Mind the Dresser

8. The solos:

Caítlin Trial

For the Sakes of Old Decency

Carolan’s Farewell to Music

Banish Misfortune/Gillian’s Apples

Tarboulton/Pinch of Snuff

Star of Munster/The Flogging Reel

9. Limerick’s Lamentation

10. O’Neill’s March

11. Ríl Mhor

Seán Potts: tin whistle/bodhrán

Paddy Moloney: uilleann pipes/tin whistle

Seán Keane: fiddle/tin whistle

Derek Bell: new Irish harp/triompán

Martin Fay: Fiddle

Michael Tubridy: flute/concertina/tin whistle

Kevin Conneff: bodhrán

Irish music is one of the most misunderstood and unfairly put down musical genres. Many of my fellow Americans tend to pass off Irish music as music they can only bear while drunk in a pub on St. Patrick’s Day. Many also look at all Irish music as a bunch of lads getting together and having a sing-a-long after a few too many Guinesses. There are even some people who listen to a good deal of Irish music before judging it, but think it all sounds too similar. If you fit into any of these three categories, I very highly suggest you listen to “The Chieftains Live!†and then reconsider your opinion about Irish music.

The Chieftains are the most famous Irish band in the world, and many say they are the best. They are able to take traditional Irish music, which is very simple, and play it in an incredibly complex way. Traditional Irish music, when it is most basic, is a relatively simple 30-60 second melody repeated until it is long enough to be considered a full song. The Chieftains play this simple music with great composition and skill. Their songs are intricately layered, and they have a very full sound. They are masters at creating musical climaxes, incredibly skilled instrumentalists, and an amazing live band. I am continually blown away by this album every time I listen to it, and I’ve been listening to it since I was 6. This album is full of excitement, beauty, joyfulness, and intensity.

Perhaps the best example of a great Chieftains song from this album is the first song, “Morning Dew.†It is a dark reel, with terrific instrumentation. The introduction with multiple tin whistles harmonizing is sinisterly beautiful, and the pounding bodhrán only makes it darker. The entire songs builds up until the last minute, when in an Irish musical sense, all hell breaks loose. The last minute is more wild and exciting than any Led Zeppelin song I’ve ever heard. Another great example of one of the Chieftains’ musical climaxes is the song “The Foxhunt†which is amazing as well. The Chieftains don’t have to be dark to be exciting, though. Songs such as “Kerry Slides,†“Round the House and Mind the Dresser, and “Ríl Mhor†are cheerful and exciting, and show what kind of music people should think of when they think of Irish music (but unfortunately do not). There are also songs that are purely beautiful, such as “Carrickfergus,†“Carolan’s Concerto,†and especially “Limerick’s Lamentation.†These songs are highlighted by the beautiful tone of the tin whistle, the unique sound of the uilleann pipes, and the wonderfully bright tone and nimble fingers of Derek Bell and his harp. You really can’t go wrong with any song on this album, except for “The Solos.†While these short songs (which are all part of track 8) are instrumentally impressive, I would not recommend them to a newcomer to the Chieftains, as they lack the full and layered sound of their other songs.

This album catches the Chieftains at their late 70’s peak, and at the place where they most excelled; onstage. If you have any interest in world music or Celtic music, or if you enjoy great music made by talented musicians, you owe it to yourself to listen to this album. I give it an A+