Thoughts, Hopes, Prayers

PSYCHOcatholic

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone.....well, my mother-in-law got checked out and they found nothing wrong with her. She did not have a stroke. She is an epileptic, so she most likely had a seizure, and her medication needs to be adjusted. The depression was probably temporary (also the side effect of the med are insomnia and lethargy), because she is back to normal. She is in the hospital today having one more test, but the doctors say she can come home tomorrow.

Thanks to all who offered their support and wishes. I'd like to keep offering my support to Shawna and her family.

Jenny, that's great news :) Thanks for the update.

And thanks for the continued support. Our ups and downs are non-stop. My dad's beginning to worry that this may be a permanent emotional state for Mom, and it's so alien to her nature that it's disconcerting to see her this depressed. I also think it's starting to wear on my sister, who's been out there now for going on 7 weeks caring for her, even though she says she's fine. I told her that's what we'd inscribe on her tombstone: "But I said I was fine!"

Hey all,....Jenny so glad to hear the good news!...I would also like to have your thoughts for my Dad who is going to have surgery next month...During his annual physical, they found an aneurysim in his stomach....Dad has been through quite a bit the past few years, in and out of the hospital for a very serious car accident he was in, and he managed to pull through 2 very major operations, the doctors were amazed how fast he recovered from them....he's a strong guy, and I know he'll make through this one...

thanks

• 4 weeks later...

A monster tornado hit the Missouri Bootheel last night. Caruthersville, MO - where my Nanny lives and my mom and dad work - is under a state of emergency. They have no gas or electricity and half the town is obliterated, from what I understand. My brother's home was destroyed, but as far as I know my family is okay.

Keep this area in your thoughts today. Many of these people live a modest existence and have lost everything they had. Reports are just beginning to come in regarding casualties. It's going to be a long day of waiting for my sister and I. We're several hours away on the other side of the state.

A monster tornado hit the Missouri Bootheel last night. Caruthersville, MO - where my Nanny lives and my mom and dad work - is under a state of emergency. They have no gas or electricity and half the town is obliterated, from what I understand. My brother's home was destroyed, but as far as I know my family is okay.

Keep this area in your thoughts today. Many of these people live a modest existence and have lost everything they had. Reports are just beginning to come in regarding casualties. It's going to be a long day of waiting for my sister and I. We're several hours away on the other side of the state.

Oh Elvy I'm sorry. I had just been speaking of the tornados the other night. When the ones that hit NE a couple weeks ago I just missed them. (Monroe City and Silex) Believe me sweetie I totally empathize with you. I understand the devastation. We've been hit darn hard already this year.

I'm glad your family is alright. Your Nanny's house make it ok? Stay safe, you know it's just the begininning.

Thanks, ladies.

Nanny's house is fine. She's living by lantern light at the moment - something that no doubt brings back memories for her.

My mom is a mail carrier and walked through the devastation yesterday, delivering mail. It was surreal for her to see the town she was raised so damaged. She said a third of the town is gone. Lots of friends and family have lost their homes. Amazingly enough, no one was killed.

In Braggadocio, the nearest blink-and-miss-it town to my parent's house, one person was killed and both churches are heavily damaged.

Here's a link to a local TV station. They have amateur footage of the storm. It's huuuge.

Elvy hon, I saw it last night. The St Louis station said the devastation in (I can't remember which town)one of the 2 badly hit was about 8 blocks long and 5 miles wide. That would be a tough thing for your family to deal with. The same thing happened to my little home town in Indiana a few years back. One house left standing on pa-paws block. His. It's so devastating, brings thoughts to mind you would never have imagined. Shoot, it just makes you cry.

• 1 month later...

It's time, I think, to make the announcement... my mom is (almost) back to her old self. My uncle put it best, I think, when he talked to her on the phone last night and he told her, "The song is back in your voice."

She still has days of depression, but they're getting less... she's still going through physical therapy and with a lot of work and luck she will be ready to be finally fitted for a prosthetic within the month. Of course learning to use it will be another challenge...

Thanks to you all for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers. :)