Ventura Highway by America

Mike

Ventura Highway

ventura.jpg

Highway 101 running from Ventura to Pasadena.

The main east-west route through Ventura California.

Ventura meaning "fortune." The town that grew up around the mission is named San Buenaventura, and later became known as Ventura.

In 1782, the Mission San Buenaventura was founded, named after Saint Bonaventure.

Buenaventura is composed of two Spanish words, buena meaning "good" and ventura meaning "fortune."

One hundred years later Ventura County was formed from the southern part of Santa Barbara County in 1872.

Most of the population of Venture resides in the southern half, north of Hwy. 126 is mostly mountainous and uninhabited, this area contains some of the most pristine rugged and inaccessible wilderness remaining in southern California. Most of the land is Los Padres National Forest.

Growth restrictions keep this area very pollution free and very open. This also has caused housing shortages and is a leading political struggle.

Chewin' on a piece of grass walkin' down the road

Tell me how long you gonna stay here Joe

Some people say this town don't look good in snow

You don't care I know

Ventura Highway in the sunshine

Where the days are longer the nights are stronger than moonshine

You're gonna go I know

Cause the free wind is blowin' thru your hair

And the days surround your daylight there

Seasons cryin' no despair

Alligator lizards in the air in the air

Doo-de-doo...

Wishin' on a fallin' star waitin' for the early train

Sorry boy but I've been hit by purple rain

Aww come on Joe you can always change your name

Thanks a lot son just the same

Ventura Highway...

WONDERFUL SONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanx for the trivia. :thumbup: :coolio:

I just heard this song yesterday...very mellow. Pink, you are wonderful with these song images and trivia. I appreciate all of your work in this forum. :bow:

You're both very welcome!! I love this song too, ever since the first time I heard it on the radio.

It has that way of making you feel like you are walking along the the highway, warm summer breeze rolling off the pacific ocean... -ahhhh very peaceful!

I drove a length of the Ventura highway in a Yugo once. If I ever heard the song it would remind me of pinning it in 2nd to keep up with waggons and breathing a heady mix of dust and diesel whilst listening to K.NOB Radio playing wall to wall AOR.

Happy days....

Regards