Your Strangest Music

lonelyday

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an old 45 R.P.M. of a troupe of trained dogs barking out "Three Blind Mice", "Pat-A-Cake" and "Jingle Bells". Can anybody top that ?

:)

It looks like nobody took me seriously.

The recording was a clever fake, but pretty good for almost 50 years ago with the technology that was around then. It was credited to "Don Carlos and his Singing Dogs".

I have a really weird song called 'Bring me Edelweiss' that a dutch friend sent me....

So

when you really love me

darling

bring me Edelweiá

So when you really love me you should bring me Edelweiá.

Freibier! Oh yeah! Freibier! Oh yeah! That's the way we like it!

So when you really love me

darling

bring me Edelweiá

Woman

I need some Austrian loving

I know what it means

I better start climbing for the dopest flower on the top of the

mountain.

I know what you want

they don't grow the ground

Hiking up North like Cooly C

you see eye to eye

We're picking the one and only flower that shows love

As you look into my eyes

so we can show it with Edelweiá.

darling bring me Edelweiá

Ruck-sack

Rucksack!

Last night the Förster saved my life!

Last night a Freibier turned me round

And round and down and down and down

Round and round and down and down and down.

You should bring me Edelweiá!

I had a Dutch penpal once... long story... anyway, he came to visit me and brought me a CD he had made for me - there was the most bizarre song on it - Hottentotten by Urbanus.

Weird!!

Dir bitst nen hittentit ip inze itti giddimme

Hittentit hier

Hittentit waar?

Hittentitten ginder

En hittentit daar!

Hittentitten x 10

Hittentit hier

Hittentit waar?

Hittentitten ginder

En hittentit daar!

Hittentitten x 10

Der botst nen hottentot op onze otto goddomme

Hottentot hier

Hottentot waar?

Hottentot ginder

En hottentot daar!

Hottentotten x 10

I guess you could also class Ministry as rather strange, I quite like them. Industrial speed metal.

There's also "Electric Larryland" by The Butthole Surfers. So immature, and so loved by middle schoolers.

Listen, Batty-poop-drawers. I'm 41, neither immature nor in middle school, and I dig The Butthole Surfers big-style,(have done for donkeys).

Far from being "strange music", Electric Larryland is widely considered amongst the cogniscenti to be The Buttholes "sell-out to the mainstream" album. It's so middle of the road, man....

I find it utterly discumknockerating that a fellow who actively seeks out and enjoys "Gong" albums, without even the excuse of a penchant for mind-altering substances, can have the temerity to suggest that The Butthole Surfers are "strange".... :stars:

(wanders off shaking head in disbelief)

Does it get better than that, people? :laughing:

It does...if one spells "cognoscenti" correctly... :doh:

Earth-Angel said: I also thought they weren't strange at all, but what is normal to one is weird to the other and all that..

I've been called "weird" often enough over the last thirty years to appreciate this already... ;) Also,I have Gong albums myself :blush: ....Believe me, I know what I'm talking about...

.....but on the subject of The Butthole Surfers: have you heard the album by Gibby Haynes & His Problem? Not enough time right now to do justice to its glorious majesty. Featuring Gibby and Surfers guitar-genius Paul Leary, it is the "commercial-pop album The Buttholes never made". Has alienated some(ok, "lots of") hardcore Buttholes fans, (too mainstream / "sold-out"). On the other hand, potentially...well, world-domination is theirs. Best rock album of 2004, in my humble opinion. Retains plenty of the "out-there weirdness" factor, especially lyrically (keeps the likes of me happy) combined with the more accessible elements of latter B'holes stuff and real "pop-sensibilities": has melody aplenty, eclecticism, song- craft, excellent production. Even Mrs Fitter, who has more conservative tastes than my own, listens to it on heavy rotation.

Well worth checking out. Maybe I ought to do a "Get The Word Out"? (Didn't think it was up-to-date enough...)

• 4 weeks later...

I have a CD from a Mailian (ie, from Mali) rapper called Fatokan. Lord, is this feaky music. like Screaming Jay Hawkins meeting Mad professor in Timbuktu.

Bits of are quite good too, when you get over the shock.

M

http://www.a-lyric.com/

Edited by Guest

...But my favorites are the Toy Dolls who have done there own "special" versions of nelly the elephant and living la vida loca.

Good call frogs, though I wonder if it would be better suited to the "Best Novelty Songs" thread?

The Toy Dolls were/are a really good band. I saw them in concert several times- indoor & outdoor, in the UK and abroad. They were an excellent 'live' band: skilled and highly entertaining. :bow: Their lyrics might be a bit lost on the international audience, but the language of music is transcendant, n'est-ce pas?

I 'm not sure they could be described as particularly "strange" though. How about "Unique and different"? (as Paula Abdoooul would undoubtedly have it)....

Having said that, they topped the UK charts with a pretty "punk-rock" version of Nellie The Elephant, and their appearance on Top of The Pops as "chart-toppers", was somewhat bizarre and incongruous, now you come to mention it....

Edited by Guest
Removal of all trace of smut or potential controversy

Faust is pretty weird.

Indeed.

There's also "Electric Larryland" by The Butthole Surfers. So immature, and so loved by middle schoolers.

Weird Revolution and Locust Abortion Technician are much better albums though. As far as I know the band was well known for their outrageous live performances...

Besides the above mentioned bands... Syd Barrett, Television and The Lounge Lizards :crazy:

Edited by Guest

Frogs, I hadn't noticed until just now that you're in Sunderland...The Toy Dolls hometown, unless I'm mistaken. Maybe not that surprising that your dad knows them??

Does he also know any of The Angelic Upstarts, one of my all-time fave punk bands? Their singer/mainman Mensi is a bit of a hero of mine :bow: .(Mrs Fitter is quite fond of him too). I've got quite a few Upstarts albums, loads of singles...(and an "I'm An Upstart" T-shirt!).

The second time I saw The Toy Dolls, they were supporting The Upstarts (Retford Porterhouse, about 1982) Great gig.

I believe The Toy Dolls are "big in Japan"; probably more popular abroad than in this country. When I lived in France (mid 80s) I was surprised to discover that The Toy Dolls were quite well-known and appreciated, not just by the punky types either. This would be because they toured plenty and put on such a good show.

Have you heard "Fisticuffs In Frederick Street"? Great Stuff.

Dig That Groove, Baby!

<<<<< Batman hon, notice my age. I happen to like the Electric Larryland, which may prove your "sellout" theory. I do love the CD though. I don't own it, don't even know the names of the songs. But my son has it, and years back played it for - freakin - ever!! I love the song with the (my descrption) little guy voice..."gotta have a lady, gotta have a lady baby....whaaaa".

But then I also like some ICP which I would put in the novelty song thread. My strangest music is still Zappa and BEEFHEART!!! :guitar: