Strange, Weird and Wacky!

Sweet Jane 61

• Replies 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[big]Ford: Car owners are pirates if they distribute pictures of their own cars[/big]

[smaller] Posted by Cory Doctorow, January 13, 2008 10:11 PM

Link[/smaller]

Josh sez, "The folks at BMC (Black Mustang Club) automotive forum wanted to put together a calendar featuring members' cars, and print it through CafePress. Photos were submitted, the layout was set, and... CafePress notifies the site admin that pictures of Ford cars cannot be printed. Not just Ford logos, not just Mustang logos, the car -as a whole- is a Ford trademark and its image can't be reproduced without permission. So even though Ford has a lineup of enthusiasts who want to show off their Ford cars, the company is bent on alienating them. 'Them' being some of the most loyal owners and future buyers that they have. Or rather, that they had, because many have decided that they will not be doing business with Ford again if this matter isn't resolved."

" I got some more info from the folks at cafepress and according to them, a law firm representing Ford contacted them saying that our calendar pics (and our club's event logos - anything with one of our cars in it) infringes on Ford's trademarks which include the use of images of THEIR vehicles. Also, Ford claims that all the images, logos and designs OUR graphics team made for the BMC events using Danni are theirs as well. Funny, I thought Danni's title had my name on it ... and I thought you guys owned your cars ... and, well ... I'm not even going to get into how wrong and unfair I feel this whole thing is as I'd be typing for hours, but I wholeheartedly echo everything you guys have been saying all afternoon. I'm not letting this go un-addressed and I'll keep you guys posted as I get to work on this.

I'm sorry, but at this point we will not be producing the 2008 BMC Calendar, featuring our 2007 Members of the Month, solely due to Ford Motor Company's claim that THEY own all rights to the photos YOU take of YOUR car. I hope to resolve this soon, and be able to provide the calendar and other BMC merchandise that you guys want and deserve! This thread will remain open for you to comment however you wish, and I'll update it as needed. "

link to forum

Edited by Guest

• 3 weeks later...

German Robber Nabbed by Salami Chunk

BERLIN (AP) - German police have charged a robbery suspect after matching his DNA to that found on a piece of salami spat out at a crime scene.

The bitten-off chunk of the telltale sausage was discovered at a building that had been broken in to in the southern city of Darmstadt in April, police said Thursday.

The 37-year-old man was taken into custody in early January after police ran his name through their computers at a highway spot-check and found he was wanted for several other crimes. Once in custody, he was linked to the Darmstadt break-and-enter through the DNA sample on the salami and charged.

But it seems the rejected meat was not the robber's only slip up: he has been charged with a total of 19 break-ins after other links were found.

The man, whose name was not released, remains in custody while police investigate.

Will this make Laurie rethink her usual diet? ;)

[big]German Man Starved Himself to Death in Forest[/big]

[smaller]February 12, 2008, spiegelonline

Link[/smaller]

He was unemployed, his marriage had collapsed and he had lost touch with his daughter. A 58-year-old German man committed suicide by cycling deep into a forest and starving himself to death in a 24-day ordeal during which he kept a diary of his suffering.

An unemployed German man whose marriage had failed cycled into a forest where he starved himself to death over a period of 24 days, keeping a diary of his physical decline, German police said.

The 58-year-old man, whose name has not been released, was found by two hunters on Monday. He was lying on a mattress in an elevated hide in woodland in the Solling hill region of northern Germany, some 100 kilometers from the city of Hanover where he had lived. He had probably been dead since December.

He wrote in his diary about the collapse of his marriage, about how his grown-up daughter become estranged from him and his long period of unemployment, according to a local newspaper article, the contents of which were confirmed by police in the town of Northeim. He stopped being eligible for jobless benefit payments last October.

The man wrote about the pain he was in as he starved. He occasionally drank some water during his self-imposed ordeal. The last diary entry is on Dec. 13 last year. The diary also contains a note saying: "This notebook is to be given to my daughter (?) after my death," according to the report in the Hessisch/Niedersächsische Allgemeine newspaper.

cro

[big]German Man Starved Himself to Death in Forest[/big]

[smaller]February 12, 2008, spiegelonline

Link[/smaller]

He was unemployed, his marriage had collapsed and he had lost touch with his daughter. A 58-year-old German man committed suicide by cycling deep into a forest and starving himself to death in a 24-day ordeal during which he kept a diary of his suffering.

An unemployed German man whose marriage had failed cycled into a forest where he starved himself to death over a period of 24 days, keeping a diary of his physical decline, German police said.

The 58-year-old man, whose name has not been released, was found by two hunters on Monday. He was lying on a mattress in an elevated hide in woodland in the Solling hill region of northern Germany, some 100 kilometers from the city of Hanover where he had lived. He had probably been dead since December.

He wrote in his diary about the collapse of his marriage, about how his grown-up daughter become estranged from him and his long period of unemployment, according to a local newspaper article, the contents of which were confirmed by police in the town of Northeim. He stopped being eligible for jobless benefit payments last October.

The man wrote about the pain he was in as he starved. He occasionally drank some water during his self-imposed ordeal. The last diary entry is on Dec. 13 last year. The diary also contains a note saying: "This notebook is to be given to my daughter (?) after my death," according to the report in the Hessisch/Niedersächsische Allgemeine newspaper.

cro

Gotta love that Teutonic efficiency!