Strange, Weird and Wacky!

Sweet Jane 61

• Replies 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think so Brad.

First, as far the residential area thing, there would have to be some type of zoning law on the books for them to be breaking. They probably don't have such a thing. This town never had to deal with something like this.

As far as promoting the use of a controlled substance, you don't see the shirts, hats, jewelry etc, being bought and sold and worn promoting that same use?

I wouldn't do it, ( I like a nice soft yellow myself) but I think it comes down to first amendment issues.

The Paomnnehal Pweor Of The Hmuan Mnid.

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch as Cmabrigde Uinervtisy,

it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,

the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.

Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Feriknag aizmang, dnot you tnhik? :jester:

• 3 weeks later...

BAN DIHYDROGEN MONOXIDE!

Dihydrogen monoxide is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and kills uncounted thousands of people every year. Most of these deaths are caused by accidental inhalation of DHMO, but the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide do not end there. Prolonged exposure to its solid form causes severe tissue damage. Symptoms of DHMO ingestion can include excessive sweating and urination, and possibly a bloated feeling, nausea, vomiting and body electrolyte imbalance. For those who have become dependent, DHMO withdrawal means certain death.

Dihydrogen monoxide:

* is also known as hydroxl acid, and is the major component of acid rain.

* contributes to the "greenhouse effect."

* may cause severe burns.

* contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.

* accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.

* may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.

* has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.

Contamination is reaching epidemic proportions!

Quantities of dihydrogen monoxide have been found in almost every stream, lake, and reservoir in America today. But the pollution is global, and the contaminant has even been found in Antarctic ice. DHMO has caused millions of dollars of property damage in the midwest, and recently California.

Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:

* as an industrial solvent and coolant.

* in nuclear power plants.

* in the production of styrofoam.

* as a fire retardant.

* in many forms of cruel animal research.

* in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, produce remains contaminated by this chemical.

* as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products.

Companies dump waste DHMO into rivers and the ocean, and nothing can be done to stop them because this practice is still legal. The impact on wildlife is extreme, and we cannot afford to ignore it any longer!

The American government has refused to ban the production, distribution, or use of this damaging chemical due to its "importance to the economic health of this nation." In fact, the navy and other military organizations are conducting experiments with DHMO, and designing multi-billion dollar devices to control and utilize it during warfare situations. Hundreds of military research facilities receive tons of it through a highly sophisticated underground distribution network. Many store large quantities for later use.

Thanks, Peaches :bow:

I have to admit I didn't get it at first, but then I read the explanation of that article...

1997, Nathan Zohner, a 14-year-old student at Eagle Rock Junior High School in Idaho Falls, based his science fair project on a report similar to the one reproduced above. Zohner's project, titled "How Gullible Are We?", involved presenting this report about "the dangers of dihyrogen monoxide" to fifty ninth-grade students and asking them what (if anything) should be done about the chemical. Forty-three students favored banning it, six were undecided, and only one correctly recognized that 'dihydrogen monoxide' is actually H2O — plain old water.

"Alle Ding' sind Gift und nichts ohn' Gift; allein die Dosis macht, das ein Ding kein Gift ist." (German)

"All things are poison and nothing (is) without poison; only the dose makes that a thing is no poison."

That's what ol' Paracelsus said...

"Alle Ding' sind Gift und nichts ohn' Gift; allein die Dosis macht, das ein Ding kein Gift ist." (German)

"All things are poison and nothing (is) without poison; only the dose makes that a thing is no poison."

That's what ol' Paracelsus said...

Funny you should quote Paracelsus. You know his name was "Bombastus"? I think that became the root for "bombast" and "bombastic". Would you believe a bombastic speaker? Bah! Drink up, sonnyboy :beatnik:

I'm really really embarrassed about my country...

Germany's Ticklish History

It is always a bit ticklish confronting Germans with their past. You ask them why it happened. You ask whether they supported it. Why they didn't rebel against it? How could millions of people not see that they were wrong? Andreas from Berlin is a typical witness of the times. A mere 28 years old, his whole life will be marked by the mistakes of an entire nation -- an occurrence that is singular in world history.

"I swear, I have no idea how a David Hasselhoff song could top the German charts for eight weeks in 1989," he says. His tone is defensive and apologetic -- a tone one hears across Germany when talking about the historical black mark.

You might have never heard about "the Hoff's" biggest smash hits "Looking for Freedom" and "Crazy for you," but ask any German between 20 and 40 about it. After a few seconds of blushed embarrassment they might even remember the lyrics, including poetic gems like: "Everybody sunshine, everybody fun time, we've got the power, we've got the Lord." The pain, though, must be deeply felt in a country with the long and highly regarded literary, religious and musical tradition enjoyed by Germany.

When Hasselhoff sang "Looking for Freedom" from atop the remnants of the Berlin Wall in November 1989, the whole world knew immediately that something was rotten in the country of Goethe and Beethoven -- that something had gone wrong with reunification from day one.

"I think the people who bought his CDs didn't even understand the lyrics. They were mostly 12-year-old kids who loved 'Knight Rider'," says Andreas. "They just liked the melody of the songs."

It's reassuring to know that Germans are capable of learning from the mistakes of history. And they are. But whenever you meet somebody from Germany, make sure to confront them with the past -- be sure to ask for their explanation for the Hoff's unprecedented rise from two-bit actor to crooner fame. You're sure to find out that Germans have a sense of humor and self-irony after all. And you'll definitely have a great conversation. As David sang himself, you'll have an "everybody fun time."

Contributed by Stephan Orth in Australia

German Survival Bible

Maybe I should say that the above article is from the "German Survival Bible", a semi-serious guide for foreigners who are coming to the FIFA World Cup 2006. ;)

Here's another one:

Savour the Phallic Vegetable

What's long, pale and drenched in a white cream sauce? It might not be what you think.

Having spent the earliest part of my childhood as a United States Army brat in Berlin, I was very excited to return to Germany in 2000. Like many Americans, I had developed considerable preconceptions about Germany's society and social mores. In particular, I knew that Germans and Europeans in general are quite open when it comes to nudity and sex.

So it wasn't too much of a shock to my prudish American eyes when I saw the occasional poster-sized advertisement featuring topless women or well-endowed and scantily clad models hanging prominently in German cities. But one advertisement -- prominently displayed all over a major Munich subway station -- completely floored me. It was a large picture of a basket chock full of sex toys. Soft, rubber, male-appendage shaped toys.

The image was so shocking that when I visited my American cousin that evening -- who was living in Munich at the time -- I asked her if it was common in Munich to see such ads in public. She was confused and shocked herself; she said she had never seen such an ad. "Well," I told her, "it was apparently for a brand called Spargel."

Silence. Then, slowly, a look of recognition spread across her face. She let out one of the biggest belly laughs I had ever heard.

Spargel, as it happens, is German for asparagus. And we're not talking the svelte, green asparagus Americans are used to. Rather, German asparagus tends to be white, have a bit more girth than its American counterpart, and served in a pool of creamy, white hollandaise sauce. And Germans are crazy about it.

But it's delicious. My advice to tourists visiting Germany for the World Cup, particularly if you happen to show up in May: try the Spargel. Just don't think too deeply about the Freudian implications.

Contributed by Richard Huffman of Seattle in the US

article on SpiegelOnline

I'm really hungry now :P