A movie about my university

rtstuff

As you know I have signed my posts with Marshall University, 1972 or home of the Thundering Herd. On November 14, 1970 a plane carrying the Marshall football team and many team boosters, local business leaders and a number of the medical communtiy crashed as it approached the airport in Huntington, West Virginia. All were lost. At the time i was a junior at Marshall.

I worked as the play by play anouncer for the campus radio station. A couple of months earlier I along with the station manager were given the opportunity to be on that plane,but we decided that we would wait and see if the basketball team got in a post season tournament and travel to that rather than take the flight with the football team to East Carolina University.

To make a long a painfull story short, the football program had to start from scratch beginning in 1971. It was a long and painfull journey that had many pitfalls along the way.

Hollywood and Warner Brothers studios have taken on the task of portraying Marshall's rise from the ashes.

Matthew McConaughey will the play the part of coach Lengyle who took over as the coach to rebulid the team. Rumor has it that Matt Damon will play assistant coach Red Dawson who didn't take the ill fated flight becauase he was on a recruiting trip. Another key figure will a young player by the name of Nate Ruffing who didn't make the trip because he was injured. Nate passed away a couple of years ago from cancer. Nate is buried in the cemetery along side several of his brothers in arms that went down that cold and dreary November night. The cemetery can be seen from my house.

I am praying that Hollywood does this justice. There is hardly anyone in this town over 50 that this tragedy hasn't effected in some way. Some a lot more tragicly than others.

Well that's my story

rtstuff

Marshall University, 1971

Home of the Thundering Herd.

Sounds like its gonna be an awesome movie! I hope they get a good director! That really matters in Hollywood these days! This sounds like it will be an awesome story as well, something new and true!

Ya know if the production comes to town, you can sign up to be an extra or let them know what your position was, and they will most likely give you a chance to be in the movie. Good Luck!

I will try to come up with a link for anyone that might be interested in reading about those events.

By the way I learned today that the other two main characters are to be played by acadamey award winners. I will keep everyone posted.

Yes I am going to do what I can to see if I can get on as an extra. That would be such an honor for me to be even a small part of this. I didn't lose family members, but I lost friends and classmates. Some very young children lost both of their parents.

rtstuff

Home of the Thundering Herd.

The actor that plays on lost,I believe his name is Matt Fox has signed on to play coach Red Dawson that did not make the return trip back with the team. He stayed down south to go on a recruiting trip.

By the way Jenny two kids that were killed in the crash were from Lyndhurst, New Jersey. The qb,Teddy Shoebridge, and the field goal kicker, Marcello Lajterman.

rtstuff

Home is where the Herd roams.