Farewell For Now Songfacts Family

PSYCHOcatholic

Best of luck to you, Paul, and thank you for doing the very difficult job of serving our country.

I just watched Forrest Gump again this weekend, so I will leave you with these lines:

Drill Sergeant: Gump, what is your main duty in this army?

Forrest Gump: To do whatever you tell me to do, Sir!

Drill sergeant: You're a f#@$ing genius, Gump!

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul whatever you do DO NOT shave the morning that you go into the gas chamber. You will have a drill where you go into a small cinder block room with your gas mask on. In the middle of the room will be a live cannister of CS gas. The purpose of the exercise is to show you how a functional gas mask will protect you. The demonstration will give you confidence in your gear.

Now comes the hard part. You will be instructed to remove your mask and say something like your name serial number(your ssn) and your home town.

More than likely you will be instructed to not shave that morning. One of our guys forgot and the CS gas scorched his irritated skin pretty good.

Of all the things I did in basic the worse experience was the gas chamber. It did a number on me.

Stay cool and you will be ok. Oh by the way you will come out of basic the best shape in your life. You will be able to run for ever, do endless setups and pushups.

God Speed.

rtstuff

Home of the Thundering Herd.

:laughing: I was just thinking of that yesterday when I saw this thread , RT ! -- same drill in Canada ( didn't they also make us exercise a bit before going in so that we could experience how the gas reacts with sweat to create an itchiness on exposed skin and to fight the urge to pull off your mask and/or run out ?-- seem to remember that ) . To this very day , I've still memorized my Social Insurance number and can recite it in ~2 seconds from that experience ! :D

I also recall the freaky/ fearfull feeling of the day we were to throw live handgrenades ... All the warnings and deadly seriousness of it ... but it was a rush after it was over and not all that bad , in the end .

Have fun but try not to stand out from your platoon-- especially at first . There is lots of time to rise to the top as you go along . For many of my fellow trainees , it was getting used to the aggressive verbal and psychological abuse that was the most difficult to deal with at first , as most were not used to being spoken to or treated in such a way . Three guys quit( or were thrown out ) in my course as they didn't adapt well and tried to stand up for themselves as they would in civilian life or felt they were being picked on . Never show any emotion or take it personally when they scream at , punish , insult or berate you -- and they will ( everyone has to get some ) -- it's a game/ test . Especially , never complain, show inner anger nor react sarcastically , however ridiculous the situation or wrong they may be . They are trying to bust out those who can't handle it and it gets worse for those who get defensive about it . Rather, show a calm desire to do whatever they want ( even punishments ) well , and try to subtly top your course ! You can quietly and neutrally stand up for yourself , though , when challenged with shots like " ARE YOU A LITTLE GIRL , PRIVATE DUBE ? DO YOU NEED YOUR MOMMY , NOW ? HUH ? " or the like with a simple " No, Corporal ." , but do not debate them no matter how unfair or insane they are . Almost nothing you do in basic will be good enough , fast enough , etc . If they keep at you trying to get your goat use " I don't know / I'll try harder , Corporal ." to escape . They want to see your reactions under pressure -- and enjoy it , too a bit , I think . Remember that there will be plenty of time to quietly bitch and complain about your instructors amongst your fellow trainees later . Ahh -- the comradeship of the abused and miserable -- one of the best parts , I think ! Later, when it's routine , it'll roll off your shoulder immediately . Savour compliments , as they will be few and far between ( but usually sincere ) , however , dimiss them quickly , and never look pleased with yourself as they can be also be the lead in to a trap ( ex. Outsatnding locker , Dube ! Well done ! ... so WHY can't you keep your fu*king boots polished properly ?! Gimme 20 ! ) and , if not , they may your fellow trainees' ire ! LOL ! For all its highs and lows , basic is still a vivid and great memory !

Set your alarm for 5:30 am and see how quickly you can get up and dress immediately after it rings . Start making your bed and cleaning your room to a level of perfection you've never contemplated before now ... Oh , yes ! ... and start practicing saying " my/ that / his /her rifle or weapon " , not GUN ( which now, for you , refers to a piece of artillery ) . They go oddly ballistic ( no pun intended ) about this and other distinctions you'll learn ( such as calling anyone under lieutenant 'sir' --use their rank always - " Yes , Sargent " etc. ) and they will give you many push-ups to do if you forget ! Go get 'em , Private ! :cool: :thumbsup:

Edited by Guest
Can't stop remembering what I wished I'd known before ...

An ancient Abbot & Costello movie had something to say about military gendarmerie: "We're the only ones who can tell the U.S. Army where to go." These days Military Police are also front line troops, so get fit ASAP and you'll be able to moonwalk away from hostile fire. Take care and don't let the regulars diss ya. :thumbsup:

You might be surprised , Laurie . All 5 girls in my platoon lasted it out . It is usually the male ego which takes the greatest battering from this type of training ; namely the guys who think they are pretty cool and who desire and try to get most of the attention in the civilian world ( and can never turn it off ) , the extremely spoiled , or the highly sensitive who have the hardest time . I hardly think that'll be Paul's problem , however , but some things to keep in mind and watch for - maybe even share with someone who hasn't thought about it while there . Some young guys join thinking that it's kind of a grown-up version of ' playing ' soldier and are surprised when they see it's serious and for real 24/7 .

Edited by Guest
additions

I'm very impressed with RonJon... that must've been a peak moment for you. I can only imagine how happy/proud you must have felt. There's no high quite as high as prosocial behaviour.

thanks..It is easy to get preoccupied with ones own life...business, problems, family, health, etc...After the fact, I did feel good and it was a peak moment...I will always go out of my way to help a soldier or a veteran. When I see WWII Vets in need, I always try to help with a donation or something that will make things better for them.

You guys just dont know how good you make me feel...i wish i could hug you all. And, i will have weekends off at AIT which is like the Military Police Academy.

Ill be getting some freedom and ill have a 50 mile limit on weekends!

Im sure ill be able to get to a computer!

Anywayz, ive been sitting up night after night and im so excited and restless but nervous. Reading Yalls words makes me feel calm and i can sleep.

Peaches, i can't thank you enough for the CD idea!

Kevin...and Uncle Joe..>AWESOME POINTERS! I heard some horror stories of the Drivers Licenses...WHEELBARROWS MAINLY!

Everytime i salute, it will be for you!

Heres a song that i thought would be really cool in this post...and no this isnt my last post!

I will admit im a fan of a few country singers...

Toby Keith is my main one!

American Soldier

Toby Keith

I'm just trying to be a father

Raise a daughter and a son

Be a lover to their mother

Everything to everyone

Up and at 'em, bright and early

I'm all business in my suit

Yeah, I'm dressed up for success

From my head down to my boots

I don't do it for the money

There's bills that I can't pay

I don't do it for the glory

I just do it anyway

Providing for our future's my responsibility

Yeah I'm real good under pressure

Being all that I can be

And I can't call in sick on Mondays

when the weekends been too strong

I just work straight through the holidays

And sometimes all night long

You can bet that I stand ready when the wolf growls at the door

Hey, I'm solid, hey I'm steady, hey, I'm true down to the core

And I will always do my duty no matter what the price

I've counted up the cost, I know the sacrifice

Oh, and I don't want to die for you

but if dyin's asked of me

I'll bear that cross with honor

'cause freedom don't come free

I'm an American soldier, an American

beside my brothers and my sisters I will proudly take a stand

When Liberty's in jeopardy, I will always do what's right

I'm out here on the front line

Sleep'in in peace at night

American soldier, I'm an American soldier

Yeah, an American soldier, an American

Beside my brothers and my sisters I will proudly take a stand

When Liberty's in jeopardy I will always do what's right

I'm out here on the front line

So Sleep in peace tonight

American soldier, I'm an American

An American, an American soldier

I had one last question or i guess asking for an opinion. Ive been approached by many people asking me if im going to go active. Now, i do want to go to college when i get back, but going active is an option. So, for people with Military Experience, or wives of military...is it a good idea?

Here's another country lyrical interlude for you, Psycho. This one made me cry the first time I heard it - and the first time I saw the video - and to this day it gives me chills when I listen to it.

Letters From Home

John Michael Montgomery

My Dear Son, it is almost June,

I hope this letter catches up to you, and finds you well

Its been dry but they’re calling for rain,

And everything's the same ol’ same in Johnsonville

Your stubborn 'ol Daddy ain’t said too much,

But I’m sure you know he sends his love,

And she goes on,

In a letter from home

I hold it up and show my buddies,

Like we ain’t scared and our boots ain’t muddy, and they all laugh,

Like there’s something funny 'bout the way I talk,

When I say: "Mama sends her best y’all"

I fold it up and put it in my shirt,

Pick up my gun and get back to work

And it keeps me driving me on,

Waiting on letters from home

My Dearest Love, its almost dawn

I’ve been lying here all night long wondering where you might be

I saw your Mama and I showed her the ring

Man on the television said something so I couldn’t sleep

But I’ll be all right, I’m just missing you

And this is me kissing you

XX’s and OO’s,

In a letter from home

Like we ain’t scared and our boots ain’t muddy, and they all laugh,

'Cause she calls me "Honey", but they take it hard,

'Cause I don’t read the good parts

Dear Son, I know I ain’t written,

But sittin' here tonight, alone in the kitchen, it occurs to me,

I might not have said, so I’ll say it now

Son, you make me proud

Like we ain’t scared and our boots ain’t muddy, but no one laughs,

'Cause there ain’t nothing funny when a soldier cries

And I just wipe me eyes

oh hell, I'm tearing up right now just reading these lyrics.

Some bad news guys....i might be held up for awhile.

I had to do a PT Test...and something that hasnt happened in 10 years happened. I had an asthma attack. So...this might put a damper on things. The army hates the word asthma. Pleas pray for me guys, if they dont discharge me, im gonna try for a later ship date and see if this is just temporary. You guys rock! These past two days have been very very fulfilling. Yesterday i got engaged, today i had to be rushed to the hospital coughing up blood and throwing up blood and naseua really bad. So...please please please pray for me. I have to go see a military doctor tomorrow in Nashville after seeing a family doc here in alabama. SO, yeah...prayers are needed really bad right now!