Music Pesonalities

Costellogirl75

I like Jon Mayer as a person. He's cute and seems really laid back and cool, but I do not like his music. Conversely Barbra Streisand drives me nuts as a person, but I can't deny that she has a gorgeous voice. And even though I claimed to be married to Ryan Adams on another post, I hear he can be a bit of a wanker, as the Brits say.

Do you have any musicians like that, ones that you admire as people but hate as musicians, and vice versa?

Noel or Liam, whichever Gallagher brother had the heroin and ego problem. I love Oasis but can't stand that guy.

Hootie and the Blowfish played golf all the time and smoked pot. I could really hang out with them until they decided to sing, then I would have to leave.

John Lennon would probably bother me. I know his wife would. Love the music though.

David Lee Roth, I wouldn't even want to talk to him except to say he should apologize to Michael and the brothers and try to get back with the band. It's interesting that the career and success that inflated his ego was destroyed because of his ego.

John McEnroe was an incredible tennis player. Probably had the best 'hands' of anyone who ever played. Some say he's a great ambassador for tennis but that's only because if tennis stays popular, he'll have people who want something to do with him. I met him once. That whining, crying, me, me, me stuff he showed on the court wasn't just an act. In person he really is like that, of course never when a camera is rolling.

A music personality that I adore is of course the great John Lennon (mainly because I agree with pretty much everything he said) A guy that I really don't care for personality wise is Paul McCartney, he's got an undeniably great voice, but he's just kind of stupid, an emotional lightweight, whereas John (and George) were much much deeper and more interesting to listen to in interviews (of course Ringo was also fun to watch because he was drunk/stoned half the time :jester:)

Seriously, what exactly is your problem with communism, because you do realize in an Ideal Marxist communist society (which was John Lennon's standpoint, the other Beatles weren't really that political (George maybe)) Everyone is equal, there is an elected leader, everyone has an equal amount of possesions, everyone is paid the same (so therefore you can get a job that you want, that you would love, and you don't have to worry about not getting paid, I mean being a teacher would be a great job but you don't get paid worth crap(time to go into a story))

I have this janitor at my highschool, and he's a really great guy, he'll be glad to help out anyone (like if their locker breaks, or if someone messes up your car) and he sais that he always wanted to be a janitor, because he sees it as always helping out us high school students,now isn't that something? Now in a perfect society(communist) he would be paid the same as a lawyer, or a congressman, now wouldn't you say that man deserves to be paid the same as any of the aforementioned?

I just wish that all this McCarthy red-hunt crap wouldn't still exist today.

"Imagine all the people....."

I think that Lars Ulrich is a sawed-off, Napolean complex having, obnoxious, pompous, self-important Richard cranium (think about it - you'll figure it out)...but I like Metallica.

:rockon:

yes - yes - yes and add David Lee Roth to the list of Richard Craniums! I love Metallica and Van Halen

Seriously, what exactly is your problem with communism, because you do realize in an Ideal Marxist communist society (which was John Lennon's standpoint, the other Beatles weren't really that political (George maybe)) Everyone is equal, there is an elected leader, everyone has an equal amount of possesions, everyone is paid the same (so therefore you can get a job that you want, that you would love, and you don't have to worry about not getting paid, I mean being a teacher would be a great job but you don't get paid worth crap(time to go into a story))

I have this janitor at my highschool, and he's a really great guy, he'll be glad to help out anyone (like if their locker breaks, or if someone messes up your car) and he sais that he always wanted to be a janitor, because he sees it as always helping out us high school students,now isn't that something? Now in a perfect society(communist) he would be paid the same as a lawyer, or a congressman, now wouldn't you say that man deserves to be paid the same as any of the aforementioned?

I just wish that all this McCarthy red-hunt crap wouldn't still exist today.

"Imagine all the people....."

If John Lennon was such a wonderful communist than why did he choose to live in New York rather than Moscow?

well, I'm going to leave the communist/Beatles topic well alone and suggest the musical personalities that really p*** me off.

Lars Ulrich is a little upstart, but Metallica is one of my favourite bands. I also can't stand Chris Martin but I really like Coldplay. And don't get me started on Axl Rose!! The Gunners are awesome though.

I also feel a growing animosity toward the members of The Eagles (and management) for charging $559.90 a ticket on their Australian tour!!!! Not cool.

John was in New York instead of Moscow because by the 70s communism had been completely bastardized by Stalin, Russia was only close to a communist state when Lenin was in power (Vladimir not John), unfortunately Lenin chose to mix in some capitilism to the communism so that the country would gradually adjust, his plan was to slowly take away the capitalism, but then he died, and then the great evil that was Stalin took over (not even Lenin wanted Stalin to take over after his death) so basically Russia was a Marxist country for maybe a year at best, then it had the communist-capatilist leninism, which Stalin perverted to a huge degree through secret police, assasinations, corruption and he created stalinism. Basically Stalin wanted nothing to do with communism, he was just a Russian general in the right place at the right time, who joined the revolutionaries and gained a place in Lenin's group, everything he did was to lead up to him having total and complete power.

Now in a perfect society(communist) he would be paid the same as a lawyer, or a congressman

Do you even know what communism is? That quote is proof that you don't. In communism, there is no currency. Everything is provided by the state, so why would there be money?

You should stop living in a dream world. Communism in theory is the best government, but the flaw is that no one could ever get it right. Communism can never be attained in it's true form, unless all Capitalism are destroyed. Realize that, and your days will be more fruitfull.

"You might say that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one"

What exactly is your problem with a perfect society? I've seen you say that there will always be war, there will always be suffering, we will always be guns, well the way things are going that's true, but do you know why that's true? Because people believe that's the way things have to be, and you know what, they don't. Way back in the years of the caveman Ug probably said to Uz that "We will never fly" how did that turn out?

Also, did I directly mention currency? No, no I didn't. He would get "paid" the same supplies and what not.

Plus you act like I would care if all capitilism was destroyed, I don't.

Wasn't it just supposed to be the transitional period before true communism could occur? What about the elected leader that you spoke of? Are you yourself a fellow traveler, komrade? Before you answer remember key operatives at the DOD and NSA monitor message boards like this. They have always suspected music loving hippie types of being subversives. I?m certain this board is carefully scrutinized. You could be just one post away from Guantanimo or simply disappearing all together. Remember Mel Gibson in ?Conspiracy Theory?.

The people really didn?t get into the whole spirit of the Marxism thing either, especially the farmers. They were given private plots to grow a more varied selection of crops than on their public land. And then with no regard for their society chose to spend more time messing around with their own crops than the peoples. They disserved to be sent to Siberia. They obviously were only concerned with their own hungry children and chose to ignore the needs of the state. What nerve. How else could it be explained that production rates on their private plots were 40 times as much as was produced on their public lands. Stalin had to do something to keep those folks in line.

Think of the enlightenment that Lennon, not Lenin, could have provided for the people striving for the communist utopia. He could stage free concerts in Moscow and sing about peace. These concerts could occur right after his warm-up act, the semi-weekly parades of tanks and missiles that the people always appeared to get so excited about.

I was always impressed with the 100% employment rate the USSR achieved. We should be so lucky here. Look at how efficient our government employees perform and the job satisfaction they have knowing they can?t be fired and are working for the good of the people. A good place to observe this phenomenon will be when you take your driving test at the department of motor vehicles in a year or two. It really sucks how so many jobs in this country are tied to the competence and productivity of the workers or proletariat.

The living arrangements were so much more intimate in communist societies. A 400sf apartment would feel a lot closer and safer than my place now. What if a burglar is waiting for me upstairs when I go to bed? Climbing stairs to go to bed is such an inconvenience anyway. East Berlin would have felt even safer with that wall keeping the evils of western imperialism away. Much like when buying concert tickets in high school I was always jealous of the camaraderie and friendships that must have developed between people while they were waiting in line to buy bread. Purchasing basic necessities is just so anti-social here in the US. As a child I would have enjoyed that no God thing Marx was so fond of talking about. Cartoons would have been on two days in a row. Since the state was the great provider there would have been no need for those boring political shows like ?Meet the Press? either. I always hated those.

Thanks Scott, I?ve been converted. There are obviously so many things I just never thought about. The cartoon thing was the closer. I would feel bad for WE Coyote, if he ever did catch the roadrunner he would have to share his catch with the other animals that were not nearly as ingenious as him and didn?t have his connections with the ACME company. But wasn?t he really just an overachieving, oversized dog striving for a lifelong goal making the other desert animals feel inferior with his clever plans. State-funded mediocrity is so much more desirable. I?ll look forward to seeing you in line the next time I go to buy shoes.

Also, did I directly mention currency? No, no I didn't. He would get "paid" the same supplies and what not.

Thats how it is in our system too. Your making it seem as though teachers get paid next to nothing. All a person needs is clothes on their back, a roof overtheir head, some sort of transportation, food, and something to groom with. All the extra stuff is just fluff. You'd be amazed with how little you can get by in life with.

I in no way implied that you were against capitalism. Everything I ment, I said. If you took it that way, well, that sounds like a personal issue.

Okay one more time

Cindy-Thanks for reading the part where I said that Russia was a flawed example of communism, I hate Stalin as much as everyone else.

CDemon-You might not have said that I'm against capitilism, but I said I was. Also, you should realize that I know that all you need is clothes shelter etc. but don't you think a teacher deserves as much as a freakin' lawyer? Yes, yes they do.

Okay one more time

Cindy-Thanks for reading the part where I said that Russia was a flawed example of communism, I hate Stalin as much as everyone else.

CDemon-You might not have said that I'm against capitilism, but I said I was. Also, you should realize that I know that all you need is clothes shelter etc. but don't you think a teacher deserves as much as a freakin' lawyer? Yes, yes they do.

Russia was in the 'transitional period' that Marx said was necessary before a true communist society could be achieved. He said that all communist societies must go through such a period. Pull out your copy of Das Kapital, written in the original German I'm sure, and check it out.

About the teacher thing, I'm totally on board. Many times I've said that if teacher's salaries and lawyer's salaries could be reversed we would all be much better off. There would be many more well qualified teachers and fewer lawyers. A win-win situation if ever I have seen one.

Q -- What do you call 1000 lawyers drowning in the ocean?

A -- A good start.

And one more thing, when did East Berlin become part of Russia. I could have used other examples of the great communist experiment; Cuba, North Korea, China. Their people seem to be flourishing quite nicely under their communist leaders. Except for the few who take cruises to our country each year in hopes of a better life. Obviously victims of western propaganda. Poor misguided souls.

Pull out your copy of Das Kapital, written in the original German I'm sure, and check it out.

Yeah, I could point out a book in original German that you might have as well. :: Fascist pig(it's a joke) :: (I'm done with all this serious arguing crap, I'm going back to jokes (for now, unless you say something that makes me mad :laughing:)

Truce

Commie signing off :thumbsup:

You edited in something after I called the truce so I have to respond.

You made a mistake:

East Berlin was in fact under influence by the Russian government, remember after WW2 the allies split Germany in half, west went to England, France, American influence, east went under Russian influence.

As far as those other countries go they were mostly under Russian influence, and none of them were succesful because they had power hungry non-communists leading them under the guise of communism.

Mao made Maoism

Stalin made stalinism

etc etc etc

The closest thing that the world ever had to a marxist revolutionary was Vladimir Lenin, which you will have to (grungingly)admit was a good man. He didn't live a luxurious life, before and after gaining control of Russia. The big mistake he made was not directly appointing Trotsky ahead of Stalin.

A music personality that I adore is of course the great John Lennon (mainly because I agree with pretty much everything he said) A guy that I really don't care for personality wise is Paul McCartney, he's got an undeniably great voice, but he's just kind of stupid, an emotional lightweight, whereas John (and George) were much much deeper and more interesting to listen to in interviews (of course Ringo was also fun to watch because he was drunk/stoned half the time :jester:)

John Lennon was a very intelligent and interesting man, and I also believe the things he said. He had a certain charm and you just wanted to be around him, when Paul is more emotionally warm and captivating with his beautiful voice. He wrote some of the most beautiful songs with John Lennon and on his own. Although, once we lost John Lennon on that tragic day :( ,the music that Paul McCartney started to write was just...missing something. Maybe the good ol' Lennon touch to it? Even though, he wrote some very amazing things. What an inspiration! :thumbsup:

You edited in something after I called the truce so I have to respond.

You made a mistake:

East Berlin was in fact under influence by the Russian government, remember after WW2 the allies split Germany in half, west went to England, France, American influence, east went under Russian influence.

As far as those other countries go they were mostly under Russian influence, and none of them were succesful because they had power hungry non-communists leading them under the guise of communism.

Mao made Maoism

Stalin made stalinism

etc etc etc

The closest thing that the world ever had to a marxist revolutionary was Vladimir Lenin, which you will have to (grungingly)admit was a good man. He didn't live a luxurious life, before and after gaining control of Russia. The big mistake he made was not directly appointing Trotsky ahead of Stalin.

Part of Russia, not influenced by Russia, was what I said. Lenin's plan also called for the transitional period that no communist nation has ever gotten past. I'm still wondering about the elected leader that you spoke of. When was that supposed to happen? Since you invoked the ghost of the nut-job Adolf by mentioning Mein Kampf, I'm wondering what the real difference is between the Marxist transitonal period and Fascism. Don't they basically both amount to a one party rule dictatorship? You know Marx wasn't a very big fan of Jews either although he did see them as a revolutionary force that could be mobilized when the workers finally took over. He was an athiest who really distrusted all religions, seeing them only as ways for people to rationalize their sad existences until the time that they will reach utopia in the afterlife.

Trotsky was lucky he was allowed to leave, many were less fortunate under Stalin. Trotsky also didn't like what happened to Russia after Stalin, so why did he leave? Couldn't he have strived for perfect workers paradise more effectively if he had stayed, or was he more concerned about getting killed and therefore more concerned about himself than the state? That concern for self has always been a problem for yourself and your komrades. Apparently Trotsky was guilty of it as well.

Claiming that a true communist state never existed is like saying that because our government is a republic or representative democracy that we are not a democratic society. True democracy, one person, one vote on every issue, only existed in Athens where the people would gather on the forum and vote on issues affecting their city. The truest communist state possible did exist, it just never became what Marx was talking about. How many members of the Politbureau would have wanted to give up their Black Sea dachas for a true Marxist society. Again that concern for self seems to be a problem. Cool how we still use the word forum.

But I already said that you had converted me. Having no God and no reason to talk about government on Sunday morning would free up airtime for the same cartoons that now are only seen on Saturday morning. And even if under Marxism the Coyote would have to share the roadrunner, I still hope he finally catches him. Cartoons to Communism, my personal journey. ;)

Obviously you seem to belive very stronly in the merits of a failed economic and political system. I don't really understand why unless it is simply to antagonise those who don't believe as you do, or to just be different and by being different somehow you gain uniqueness. Have you tried reading any capitalist or democratic writers? Since you live in that type of society it might be nice to know something about how it happened. You might even like some of the stuff you read. Possibly one of the reasons communism was tried and failed is simply because it is a flawed system. The ideal sounds nice enough, but it is impossible to put into practice. That it didn't fail because of Mao, Castro, Stalin, or Gorbachev; it failed because it could never work in the first place. Whatever the reason, it did fail and to cling to the ideal is really just a waste of time. No one's going to want to try it any more. I hear anarchism might be catching on again. Possibly you could look into that. I understand they have put out a cookbook or something.

• 3 months later...