FM radio sucks

phil

we have a good station that plays alot of the obscure songs, and deep tracks that other stations don't usually play...I love that station, and I have not heard Free Bird or Stairway To Heaven on it yet...but hey those are two great classic songs....I know we've heard those on the radio since the 70's but hey, maybe the younger generation will appreciate those songs now....

Portland's classic rock station has been going downhill lately. It seems like whenever I turn it on, it's southern rock. Nothing against southern rock, but it gets old after a while. KUFO is getting better, however. They're playing less boring alt-metal, and just playing whatever rocks, whatever decade, with a few slow songs here and there. And NRK, the alternative station, has changed from bland teenage pop-punk to a very diverse radio station. They are actually alternative now! Oh FM radio! Why must you toy with my emotions?

Anyways, more about classic rock radio in general...it bothers me. I am able to continually find classic rock I haven't heard, but apparently, the DJs at the classic rock radio stations can't.

We only have two local radio stations, BBC Radio Cornwall and Pirate FM 102.

I rarely listen to Radio Cornwall as most of the presenters have a strong Cornish accents which constantly reminds me of the stereotype of Cornish people...we don't all drink Scrumpy and hardly any of us are farmers, and no, I don't own a combine harvester...the music they play is ok sometimes, and they play a couple of classic rock songs, but never seems to be when I listen to them..most of the time it's not worth bothering with...

Pirate FM 102 claims "real music variety", but I hear the same songs constantly...all the usual pop songs and golden oldies...nothing I've never heard, and loooooads of adverts.

The FM radio station here - 93.5 Eagle FM only plays newer music so it is no use to me. I listen to 1368 2GN which is an AM station but plays great music from the 50's, 60's, 70's & 80's. They have Jukebox Saturday, Sunday Night Fever, All Request Work Days, The Six O'Clock Six Pack, the One O'Clock 70's Block and Guess The Year at 5pm, among other things. SO great, I've been exposed to so many good tunes listening to that radio station. I hear a song and think "what's that?!?!" then I'll go look it up on the net and get hold of a copy. Yay for 2GN :bow: :bow:

I should say that I'm not against new music, I do like some of it but the stuff I like (Franz Ferdinand, Coldplay, The Darkness, The Living End, Audioslave, etc.) they rarely to never play, they're kinda focused on current R&B, plastic pop, hip hop type stuff. Mainly top 40 with a few others thrown in.

I usually switch back & forth from the News/talk station's & KCSM 91.1FM (which is commercial free jazz 24/7)& occationally flip through the various rock station's when I'm in my car/work truck.

When I'm home I'll have on either KCSM.org (yep,same jazz station on the net) or radiostarfleet.com which is sci/fi,anamine,game music w/an occational 2hr. 'variaty' show in the eve. :beatnik:

Bluesboy, we live in the same area. I agree with you on KSDS. They play a lot of good stuff. I don't have anything against frequently played "classic" rock. It is just frustrating because there is so much good music we never get to hear. Not to mention some bands who get no air time at all.

i hate how "Should I Stay or Should I Go?" and "London Calling" are the only Clash songs ever to be played on the radio. and that thought The Velvet Underground & Nico is reguarded as one of the greatest albums of all time, i've never heard a single song from it on the radio. also, i have 157 Floyd songs at the moment, and i've probably heard 10 on the radio.

Yes, that really sucks... :smirk:

no, it really does bother me. I mean, do people have that hard a time paying attention for a twenty minute song? People watch an hour of TV in one sitting, what's the problem with listening to a twenty minute song? I don't see how it's that different.

The radio station in Phoenix that I listen to is The Peak 98.7. Their motto is "Whatever We Want." They dig up stuff I haven't heard in YEARS and remind me of the stuff that used to be played when I was growing up... it's awesome. They never repeat a song during the day, and I rarely hear the same song in a two-or-three day time period.

Well, would you rather listen to twenty minutes of non-stop music, or 4 songs that are each 4 minutes, with a minute-long break between each one. Also, most twenty minute songs go through a lot of changes. So hearing, say, "A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers" by Van Der Graaf Generator for 23 minutes is different than hearing "Hello Goodbye" over and over until it hits 23 minutes.

The radio stations by me play mainstream stuff, so I listen to internet radio a lot at work. In the car, I just put on the Top 40 station, because I do like a lot of mainstream music.

A lot of the internet stations play mainstream stuff as well, but I hear a lot of artists and music that I would normally never hear on the radio.

Is FM radio hideous these days, or is it just me. How many times can you listen To Free Bird and Stairway To Heaven before you lose your mind.

Well I am a DJ on an FM station and yes some stations over play the hits...which is not a good thing. But some stations mix it up more than others. It depends on the market and what age group the station is targeting. I hope people listen to FM so I can keep on working!!

It is commercial radio, with the emphasis on commercial. During any 30 minute TV segment there are 7 minutes of commercials. It's not 23 minutes of TV, then 7 minutes of commericals, it is broken down into three commercial segments. If a radio station plays a 20 minute song that I don't want to hear...I'm gone and I listen to something else. Advertisers need to know that their message is getting out there at peak listening times. Sporting events have "TV" timeouts...Timeouts that are solely there to stop the game and let the advertisers get their messages in. Without these guaranteed breaks, TV stations and radio stations couldn't guarantee viewership or listenership.

FM radio is a free service to us and I accept the downside that comes with that pricetag.