Okay, I got one for ya ...

beatleant

Yep, I'm down to a total of '3' tunes without knowing who's the artist and/or song title.

I'll start with the easier one for I still hear it (on radio) from time to time but miss out on title and artist.

It's definitely a 70's tune (it's when I first heard it) and the band sounds somewhat like Pilot ("Sky High") and the singer like Leo Sayer. The only lyrics I can remember (and no, it's not Jerry Reed's "When You're Hot, You're Hot") are from the chorus ...

When you're up you're up, when you're down you're down, When you're feelin' low, I'll be 'round 'round

After he sings 'up', the clarinet plays a crescending line and after 'down', the same instrument plays a descending riff (which of course, compliments the mood of the song).

The song's mood is happy jolly and jovial.

:help:

Ant

The lyrics sound like something from Gilbert O'Sullivan. I do not recall if he did anything like this.

It's definitely a 70's tune (it's when I first heard it) and the band sounds somewhat like Pilot ("Sky High")

I do not recall Pilot singing "Sky High". I thought their only hit was MAGIC.

The lyrics sound like something from Gilbert O'Sullivan. I do not recall if he did anything like this.

Jimmy - Yes, the vocals do sound like Gilbert O'Sullivan. I'm gonna look it up after this post.

I do not recall Pilot singing "Sky High". I thought their only hit was MAGIC.

DANG!! Did I screw up?? Okay, just a sec ... gotta go downstairs again ... be right back. Can you hang on a sec? I'll be just a sec ...

k, I'm back. Yeah, it's 'Jigsaw' that did "Sky High." And yes, it was Pilot that did "Magic."

Okay, now I got a lead. Thx Jimmy :)

Hey Ant....I knew Pilot did Magic. When it comes to music from the seventies, I have been known to be able to answer most any question....at least until tonight.

I forgot who sang Sky High (I was thinking Silver Convention from "Fly, Robin Fly" fame but knew I was wrong). Thanks for reminding me that it was Jigsaw.

Also, I remember you mentioning a few days ago that you were a closet Partridge Family fan where I also admitted I listen to them every now and then. If you don't listen to Gilbert O'Sullivan I would suggest that you pick up one of his anthology CD's. You may be surprised by the ditty's he wrote. Nothing classic (except for "Alone Again, Naturally) but they sure are easy to sing to and actually quite enjoyable.

If you get the chance to listen to his stuff, let me know what you think. I will do some investigating also into the lyrics you placed above.

Also, I remember you mentioning a few days ago that you were a closet Partridge Family fan where I also admitted I listen to them every now and then.

I never meant to come across as a 'closet' fan of Partridge Family. The one thing I've taught my daughters is never be ashamed/embarrassed of the music you like/love. In other words, I'll crank up 'The Monkees' in the car for I don't care who looks.

And yes, I actually enjoy some of PF tunes even though it's only David on the recordings.

About Pilot - sorry, didn't mean to check on you ... I was putting myself down for gettin' a fact wrong. :: I never have any problem if someone catches my blunder(s). ;)

As for your Gilbert recommendation, I will take it in consideration. I'm a (music) collector so I'll keep it in mind. As it stands (right now), I'm collecting lots of newer rock (I go through many changes in one year which will include (eventually) classic rock).

As for newer rock, I've already picked up some "Northstar," "New Found Glory," "Out of Your Mouth," "Keane," "The Golden Dogs," "Usher," "Outkast," "Autopilot Off," etc.

I'm in a bind right now 'cause I'm not one to pay extraordinary prices for CDs (I'll bite my tongue here ... I've paid way too high at times). Here in Ontario, I cannot find decent prices for CDs of ...

- Taking Back Sunday (and I want it baaaaad)

- Fountains of Wayne

- Death Cab for Cutie

- The Starting Line

- Owsley

Ant

Is there a Canadian version of Half.com? That's a good place to find used CD's. :)

A good internet friend is affiliated with half.com and told me about it (couple years ago). When I inquired about Canada, he said (at the time) it was only for the States. Maybe they've changed, I don't know but I'll take a look.

Only problem is, if the products are in the States, and the S & H, duty, US exchange rate, etc., well, it's actually more than to purchase here.

Just for ebay, a lot of the Canadian sellers ask for US exchange (the products that I've wanted) and so I've never bought anything from ebay.

:(

• 4 weeks later...

Ia certain this is NOT the one you are looking for, but when I hear your lyrics, this is what comes to mind.

Dirty Laundry

by Don Henley

I make my living off the evening news

Just give me something, something I can use

People love it when you lose, they love dirty laundry

Well, I could've been an actor, but I wound up here

I just have to look good, I don't have to be clear

Come and whisper in my ear, give us dirty laundry

Kick 'em when they're up, kick 'em when they're down

Kick 'em when they're up, kick 'em all around

We got the bubbleheaded bleach-blonde, comes on at 5

She can tell you about the plane crash with a gleam in her eye

It's interesting when people die, give us dirty laundry

Can we film the operation? Is the head dead yet?

You know the boys in the newsroom got a running bet

Get the widow on the set, we need dirty laundry

You don't really need to find out what's going on

You don't really want to know just how far it's gone

Just leave well enough alone, keep your dirty laundry

Kick 'em when they're stiff, kick 'em all around

Dirty little secrets, dirty little lies

We got our dirty little fingers in everybody's pie

Love to cut you down to size, we love dirty laundry

We can do the innuendo, we can dance and sing

When it's said and done, we haven't told you a thing

We all know that crap is king, give us dirty laundry

Here is your song. Gilbert O' Sullivan's "Get Down"

Here is a link to a webpage where you can play a sample clip (#11):

MSN page for Gilbert O' Sullivan

Lyrics

Told you once before

And I won't tell you no more

Get down, get down, get down

You're a bad dog baby

But I still want you 'round

You give me the creeps

When you jump on your feet

So get down, get down, get down

Keep your hands to yourself

I'm strictly out of bounds

Once upon a time I drank a little wine

Was as happy as could be, happy as could be

Now I'm just like a cat on a hot tin roof

Baby what do you think you're doin' to me

Told you once before

You're a bad dog baby

But I still want you 'round around

I still want you around

aye aye aye

I don't give a damn

And I'd like you if you can to

Get down, get down, get down

You're bad dog baby

But I still want you 'round

Once upon a time I drank a little wine

Was as happy as could be, happy as could be

Now I'm just like a cat on a hot tin roof

Baby what do you think you're doin' to me

Told you once before

You're a bad dog baby

But I still want you 'round around

Nope - both wrong. I know those 2 tunes. Thanks for trying though :)

I've already played many clips of Leo Sayer and it looks like he's not the one either.

There's a DJ I know here in Ontario and I'll probably send him an email. I'm pretty sure his station has played this tune.

I'll let you know if I get around to it.

Ant