Who gives you chills?

Sweet Jane 61

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've mentioned this one before:

Down So Low by Tracy Nelson

Another reason that Tracy Nelson has never been as widely acknowledged as she deserves is ironically because she did one song that was so stunning, so overwhelming, that all her other excellent work suffers by comparison. The song is, of course, Down So Low . In my estimation, this song and Tracy's performance of it is one of the staggering achievements of the rock era. Greil Marcus once wrote that in this song Tracy Nelson goes to places that Janis Joplin only dreamed about. The song is so extraordinary that the album cover reads The Best of Tracy Nelson / Mother Earth followed by the words " Featuring Down So Low ". And the entire text on the back of the CD does nothing but talk about the song. In a way, this song destroyed her career, because it is such an amazing song and performance, that everything else in anyone's career is going to be a disappointment.

And a fascinating footnote from Tracy herself about Down So Low

That's the first song I ever wrote. I had just had my heart broken big time ... I wrote the song about Steve Miller. He broke my heart and I wrote a really great song about it. Thanks, Steve.

In no particular order:

"Quittin' Time" performed by Mary-Chapin Carpenter (The Live at the Ryman Auditorium version on the "Party Doll" CD)

"Imagine" performed by Eva Cassidy

"Hi'ilawe" performed by Gabby Pahinui

"The Impossible Dream" performed by Richard Kiley (Why doesn't Hollywood redo "Man of La Mancha" with actor-singers instead of putting wagon wheels on TV remakes?)

"America The Beautiful" or "Georgia On My Mind" performed by Ray Charles :guitar:

Marty Balin wailing "so would I" near the end of "Miracles" (Jefferson Starship).

The guy has a speech impediment and sings like an angel. The vocals, harmony and fluidity of that song is (IMHO) unmatched.

Note: Be sure to listen to the complete version of the song which is over 5 minutes...and not the cropped version they play on the radio... it means a world of difference.

-Scott

Tina Turner singing "Rock Me Baby" has always given me naughty chills. "I want you to rock me like my back ain't, got no bone...". Erotic to the nth degree.

Much in the same style, John Lee Hooker with Bonnie Raitt from his "Healer" album, they do Hooker's "I'm In The Mood". If this flat-out doesn't give you chills, you might just want to check your pulse. This song is a paraox on more than one level. He is old, she is young. He is black, she is white. But the lust, the sheer want in their voices is palpable. And Bonnie Raitt's simmering, bubbling slide guitar percolates like some dark exotic sauce in a pan on a hot stove. Slides playfully up your pant leg and does nasty things in your nether regions. When Hooker calls on her to do her vocal, her voice is ragged with desire. I've long wondered if anything ever happened between these two. Give it a listen and you'll wonder too......

Ken.

... Much in the same style, John Lee Hooker with Bonnie Raitt from his "Healer" album, they do Hooker's "I'm In The Mood". ... But the lust, the sheer want in their voices is palpable. .....I've long wondered if anything ever happened between these two. Ken.

After John Lee Hooker's death, Rolling Stone magazine did a biography and gave a few paragraphs to just the recording you are curious about, Ken. In the article, Bonnie Raitt is asked about that session and says that she has known no man with the kind of raw sexuality exuded by Hooker and that the session was indeed filled with innuendo and a lot of playful comments when the mic was not recording, in addition to actually being physically turned on while recording with him. She said that helped "the mood." When the reporter asked her directly if she and Hooker did more than sing about making love, she worked her way around the question leaving all possiblities open, as I recall. And John Lee is no longer here to answer the question, but I have a feeling he would leave speculation unsatisfied as well.

The very first time I'd ever heard this song, I was in a rush to do some by now forgotten task involving me going to a bank. The Royal Bank here in Windsor. Howard Avenue branch. It was cold, a real nasty rain falling. I was listening to National Public Radio, and it came on. Whatever the task was became unimportant and I sat in the car, riveted, unwilling to leave until the song was done. And was late getting back to work until I had stopped at the record store to but the disc. Her voice! S2V, thanks for the info. I was unaware of the Rolling Stone article, but I am willing to bet that with what was caught on that song, something happened....

But the lust, the sheer want in their voices is palpable. And Bonnie Raitt's simmering, bubbling slide guitar percolates like some dark exotic sauce in a pan on a hot stove. Slides playfully up your pant leg and does nasty things in your nether regions.

I downloaded the song after reading your spectacular description of it, Ken. You definitely hit the nail on the head. I couldn't help but sway back and forth with my eyes closed listening to it. Anybody got a cigarette? :googly:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...