Fads

PSYCHOcatholic

My friend and I were talkin last week 'bout the old toys we used to play with when we were in Grade School/Jr. High. The old "fads" if you will.

The first fad i ever took part in was in 3rd and 4th grade... they were called POGS.

The game of pogs originated in the 1920s on the Hawaiian island of Maui. There dairy workers played the game during breaks using simple milkcaps. Almost 70 years later, a Hawaiian schoolteacher reintroduced the game and mass appeal soon followed.

Pogs, (an acronym for a popular Hawaiian drink made from Passion fruit, Oranges and Guava juices) is played with disc-like object which have pictures on its face side. Each player would take an equal number of pogs and would stack at least four pogs one on top of another with the faces down. One of the players would then take a different-sized disc (called a slammer) and would strike a stack of the pogs with it. Whichever pogs landed faceup would be retained by that player. After each player had taken their turn(s), the one with the most pogs was the winner.

Eventually the schools banned them because of the aggresivness of kids and winning.

Then i remember when we were into YoYo's...the new cool lookin kinds that you could sleep for 2 minutes.

Tamagotchi and Digimon after that.

Then eventually Furbys! And the dreadful....Pokemon!

Now...i know there were plenty more, but thats all i can remember at the time.

What were some of the "Fads" goin around when you were in school?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember in elementary school we were all big on the marbles. In the back part of the playground, there was an entire field set up of marble "tables", like going to Vegas, only shooting marbles instead.

That was also the time when Duncan Yo-Yos were real popular, but I never got into that. And Jacks... jacks was another big one in grade school...

I remember something called "Click Clacks". It was two balls made of a glass like polymer. The balls were attached at each end of a string. The object was to get each ball swinging in the opposite direction and when they passed each other

they hit and made a "Click clack" sound. The truth is these things were lethal weapons. Kids hit others kids in the head and eye, not to mention doing the same to themselves. Also, the ball eventually exploded spraying shards of glass like material all over the place.

The were finally banned from schools and from even being sold.

I remember something called "Click Clacks". It was two balls made of a glass like polymer. The balls were attached at each end of a string. The object was to get each ball swinging in the opposite direction and when they passed each other

they hit and made a "Click clack" sound. The truth is these things were lethal weapons. Kids hit others kids in the head and eye, not to mention doing the same to themselves. Also, the ball eventually exploded spraying shards of glass like material all over the place.

The were finally banned from schools and from even being sold.

I remember them too! Had a pair of them myself. But I could never get them to clack repeatedly…

remember Rubiks Cube, do they still have that?...Oh and the Crazy 8 ball that you could only ask yes or no questions...lol, Quija Boards, Pogo Sticks...hehehe those were fun, rollerskating parties...oh I'll try to think of more...that was a long time ago...

Edited by Guest

Student Solves Rubik's Cube in 11.3 Seconds

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- A 20-year-old California Institute of Technology student set a new world's record Saturday for solving the popular Rubik's Cube puzzle, turning the tiled brain-twister from scrambled to solved in 11.13 seconds.

Leyan Lo is part of Caltech's Rubik's Cube Club, a brainy clutch of students that hosted the competition at the Exploratorium museum in San Francisco. Lo's record-setting time came early in the day, among his first five tries in the preliminary rounds.

The record-setting solve caught competitors and Lo himself by surprise.

"It's kind of scary now that I set it, because I have two more (attempts) to go," Lo said humbly afterward. His time of 11.13 seconds broke the previous record of 11.75 seconds, set by Frenchman Jean Pons at the Dutch Open competition last year.

Still, the world record alone wouldn't gain Lo the overall champion's title at the event, which is determined by averaging three of five solution times in the final round. For that title, Lo went up against the teenager widely considered the fastest Rubik's Cube solver on the planet — Shotaro "Macky" Makisumi, a 15-year-old high school sophomore from Pasadena.

Makisumi prevailed, clocking in with an average time of 14.91 seconds in the final round to take first place.

Besides blindingly fast fingers and a head for memorizing algorithms used by most top competitors to solve the cube, what is Makisumi's secret?

"I don't know. Faster first two layers," he surmised, referring to solving the first two layers of the cube's colored tiles before moving on to the last. For his victory, Makisumi won a Rubik's Snake puzzle, one of several variations on the basic cube model which has sold more than 100 million worldwide, according to the manufacturer.

Contestants brought their own cubes to the competition, and a computer program was used to scramble the cubes in the same fashion for each round to give the contestants equal footing.

One of the crowd favorites was Casey Pernsteiner, 14, who traveled to the event from her hometown of Gonzales, Texas, with her mother. Pernsteiner logged a 21.59 second average in the preliminary round to move on to the finals.

The crowd erupted with applause as she threw the cube down time after time, slapping an electronic timing mat and consistently clocking times well under 30 seconds.

"My previous best time in competition was 25 (seconds) and I beat that, like, all ten solves, so I was really happy with that," Pernsteiner said. She finished among the top 16 finalists.

i hated furbys! I did have a tamagochi, but a different brand, i had a chicken and a penguin.

we also had marbles at some point, then there were these plastic things that you filled with water and squeezed them on other people, like water pistols but shaped like animals. slap bracelets too, dancing flowers and coca-cola bottles :) (i still have that)

I remember something called "Click Clacks". It was two balls made of a glass like polymer.

ours were made of resin. I had a pair that had one orange, one yellow. We played with those things so much, I was able to do the up-and-down click/clacking, and I never saw anyone's explode... We even made our own on one occasion. I can't recall how we did it, but I do remember doing it. I also remember smashing my fingers between those things on numerous occasions.

In the fashion world, there was tie-dye. We used to tie-dye everything we could get our hands on. It was so cool to have the most colorful blouses and pants. And crochet tops, too... midriffs, hip- and bun-hugger jeans... and the tops that look like real short dresses that you wear over jeans (I can't think of the name).

But look around me and I see nothing's changed.

Rubik's Cube, friendship pins (beads on a safety pin that you pinned on your bag or shoelace), friendship bracelets, Cabbage Patch Kids, Care Bears.

and ribbon barrettes, banana clips, plastic charm bracelets and necklaces. In my middle school the cool way for girls to dress was oversized Coca~Cola shirts, stirrup pants, two pairs of socks in alternating colors (wearing one white sock on bottom, one red on top on one foot, then reversing the colors on the other foot), and high top sneakers. Way better than butt-crack showing jeans girls wear now.

and ribbon barrettes, banana clips, plastic charm bracelets and necklaces. In my middle school the cool way for girls to dress was oversized Coca~Cola shirts, stirrup pants, two pairs of socks in alternating colors (wearing one white sock on bottom, one red on top on one foot, then reversing the colors on the other foot), and high top sneakers. Way better than butt-crack showing jeans girls wear now.

can someone say 80's?