This Is Totaling Amazing

rtstuff

I met my wife on the internet. We were not looking for one another, we just met there. I had (2 months before meeting her) written a poem about such a meeting (posted in Creative Writing titled 'Net and uncannily prophetic for me)inspired through stories told to me by online friends, like with you guys. Hearing the stories of love on the internet intrigued me. These are not unlike stories of marriages between penpals during WW2, as girls back home would write to soldiers at random, as a means of keeping up morale.

I feel the key to a successful online relationahip is; a willingness toward disclosure of pertinent information, total honesty in each word you write and an attitude of no pressure to overcome distance or amount of preliminary time. Physical meetings should not be so urgent as to preclude a total peace of mind to do so as a result of light-hearted, patient attempts to get to know someone thoroughly.

In reading back over that last paragraph ... it is not at all dissimilar to any other way of meeting and getting to know someone.

A couple of years ago, upon telling an aquaintance about the ongoing online relationship I was fostering with my present wife, he said, "You gotta watch out for women you meet there!" I asked him where he met his wife ... "at Hamilton Tavern."

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it is much safer to meet a stranger in a bar and naturally, know every truth about their life from that brief encounter.

People lie - online, in real life, to each other, to themselves. It happens all around us and I do not feel that the barrier of a computer screen is any different to the delusion of beer goggles.

Yes, it is much safer to meet a stranger in a bar and naturally, know every truth about their life from that brief encounter.

People lie - online, in real life, to each other, to themselves. It happens all around us and I do not feel that the barrier of a computer screen is any different to the delusion of beer goggles.

Agreed...I recall a blind date I was once coerced into by a friend. He was taking one young lady to the prom (at some private school) and her girlfriend needed a date. I fought hard only to insist I would not go unless he could show me a photo of this dateless wonder....well, he did and she was actually quite attractive. I agreed and rented my tux and bought some flowers and off to the prom to meet her.

Casting my eyes upon this young lady for the first time, it immediately struck me that she somehow managed to double her bodyweight from the time this photo was taken.

My friend owed me dearly and never heard the end of the story. He couldn't even look at me all night, knowing the look I was going to give him. Was this personalized introduction worse than an internet introduction...I think so.

No matter where you meet....online...a bar...a friend...whatever...you should get to know the person, and hopefully be able to find lies if they tell them, keep that safe distance until you feel you are ready and hopefully you will be right. I have met losers in life and online...they are everywhere, I just needed to weed them out.

yes, get to know them before you get drunk.... :grin:

Now, this is so true too, Laurie... :laughing:

I´ve met people in all kind of places and situations though I was never actually looking for people... it just happens, whether you´re in a bar, in a rock concert, in a plane, in the office, at a friend´s party, in front of a computer... what comes after is what matters.

It's very uplifting to know from your personal experience that internet dating can work out, because to me it seems to be a terrifying concept! I've had nothing but creepy weirdos and weird creeps sending me messages for no rhyme or reason. But, I haven't really looked, either so...

It's very uplifting to know from your personal experience that internet dating can work out, because to me it seems to be a terrifying concept!

Not worse than crossing a stranger on the street... that´s how I meet my ex... and he´s an amazing guy!