American Idol 06

_Laurie_

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Idol" Haters Love Kevin

Tue Mar 21, 6:12 PM ET

Looks like the sky may not be falling on Chicken Little. At least, if one Website has any say in it.

Votefortheworst.com is back to its usual antics, delighting American Idol haters and dismaying show producers by unleashing a campaign to back the contestant the site deems the worst of the wannabes.

This season the online campaign has rallied behind 16-year-old Kevin Covais, nicknamed Chicken Little by host Ryan Seacrest for his passing resemblance to the bespectacled Disney character.

The site, which started just prior to American Idol's third season and quickly got behind red-haired crooner John Stevens, claims its intention is not to be mean-spirited, rather to get voters to simply "embrace the suckiness" of the show by prolonging the stay of "less talented contestants" and people "like Kevin Covais, who have no chance of winning." Visit for more:

• 101 Craziest TV Moments

• The Awful Truth

• Fashion Police

More stories:War of Words over Cruise Site"Lost" Robbery Suspect FoundPTC Punks "Family Guy"Hilton Denies Sizemore HookupKeys Plugs In at No. 1

So it's more of a public service, really.

"For us, the fun of American Idol is that it's a cheesy show that is much more enjoyable when bad singers stick around," site creator Dave Della Terza explains in USA Today.

According to the Website, Della Terza started the campaign simply to make the show more enjoyable. The competition, he writes, is fixed: Rocker Chris Daughtry "or any white male"--except, presumably, Covais--is whom he believes the producers are grooming for victory.

The competition, Della Tarza says, is not about singing, but about making good reality TV. He says his site merely acknowledges that fact by "helping to keep around an entertaining protagonist."

"If our pick is ousted from the competition, we'll move on to someone new," the site reads. "If we can help someone undeserving inch a spot closer to winning, that's a great success!"

Which means Kellie Pickler better join Team Covais and quick.

Last week Votefortheworst.com decided to back only Covais after previously encouraging voters to phone in on behalf of both contestants.

"While Kellie Pickler is still an awful, tone deaf fake, it would be foolish to split our votes at this point," a post on the site read. "If for any reason Kevin is kicked out of the competition, we will then vote for Kellie (she's still terrible), so she's not off the VFTW radar."

Unfortunately, the site may not be the only ones who think Covais is among the weakest of the pack. Last week, Simon Cowell called Covais' rendition of Stevie Wonder's "Part Time Lover" an "appalling" performance.

Of course, being singled out on the site may not be wholly bad for the budding artist.

Jasmine Trias, one of the site's chosen few for the show's third season, made it into the top four, while last year's main pick, Scott Savol, was among the competition's final five contestants--a feat for which the site, naturally, took credit.

For its part, Fox is not issuing any new statements on the anti-Idol Website, instead deferring to the lengthy denouncement they released last spring.

"While it is unfortunate that a small group of people are so caustic that they believe it would be humorous to attempt to negatively sway the voting on American Idol, the number of purported visits to the website would have no impact on voting," the network and show producers said last year. "Their hateful campaign will have no effect on the selection of the next American Idol."

Covais is one of 11 finalists remaining in the competition. This week, the batch of hopefuls will try their hands at songs from the '50s, with Barry Manilow, who not so coincidentally just topped the charts with The Greatest Songs of the Fifties, set to perform on Wednesday's results show.

"Idol" Haters Love Kevin

Tue Mar 21, 6:12 PM ET

Looks like the sky may not be falling on Chicken Little. At least, if one Website has any say in it.

Votefortheworst.com is back to its usual antics, delighting American Idol haters and dismaying show producers by unleashing a campaign to back the contestant the site deems the worst of the wannabes.

This season the online campaign has rallied behind 16-year-old Kevin Covais, nicknamed Chicken Little by host Ryan Seacrest for his passing resemblance to the bespectacled Disney character.

The site, which started just prior to American Idol's third season and quickly got behind red-haired crooner John Stevens, claims its intention is not to be mean-spirited, rather to get voters to simply "embrace the suckiness" of the show by prolonging the stay of "less talented contestants" and people "like Kevin Covais, who have no chance of winning."

I would imagine that this is a more comforting explanation for the prolonged participation of the likes of Kevin (and previously John Stevens), than the notion that significant numbers of Americans actually voted for them as the best talents on show.

I can't believe the Kevin is gone. I still think he has more talent than Buckaroo. The little fella has a much better voice than Bucky, but does lack a lot of stage presence.

My top three are Mandesa, Chris and Catherine. My next two in no particular order would be Taylor, a great showman, and Paris. You can tell that Paris has had the advantage of being from a family of entertainers. She has obviously had a lot of training. After my top five I think it is anyone's guess except I would put Bucky in last place.

rtstuff

(Sigh)....... As I pointed out a few weeks ago, we in the UK & Ireland don't get to see the show until Friday night.....

Maybe you shouldn't read this thread until after you see the results show :)

Not being snotty, just a suggestion. When I haven't seen a show I tend to steer clear of the new posts until I've watched it.

I'm giggling about this because Mags posted something really funny about Chicken Little getting the boot this morning. I called and asked her if it was okay if I deleted it because our across-the-pond friends don't get it until later in the week. She graciously said it was okay. So I've stolen her thunder and robbed her of a good joke for nothing.

Please accept my humble apologies, my sweet Mags. :angel:

aw poor mags! but very considerate of you to think of us peaches! it is very hard to stay away from the thread even when you know that those in the us already have the results! like i've been fighting with my urges to open the 24 spoiler thread and so far have just about managed to resist!

I'm giggling about this because Mags posted something really funny about Chicken Little getting the boot this morning. I called and asked her if it was okay if I deleted it because our across-the-pond friends don't get it until later in the week. She graciously said it was okay. So I've stolen her thunder and robbed her of a good joke for nothing.

Please accept my humble apologies, my sweet Mags. :angel:

It's ok Peachy.

What I originally said was that apparently the "Idol Haters" did not vote because Chicken Little was sent packing.

We see it one week later in So. America. Last night was the Stevie Wonder night. I can't say that I care about knowing the outcome a week early however, because the show has lost its appeal for me since I caught "Kelly Loves Justin" in a Blockbuster switch-the-bag screw-up. Watching a few minutes of that bomb made me realize what 'Idol' is really all about. But I AM GENUINELY FASCINATED by this thread! THIS should be the reality show broadcast around the world. Hey ... it IS!