American Idol 06

_Laurie_

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wassup Peachy??

If I was in his band, I'd probably kick him out too. Sell-out!!! :) Maybe they'll take him back. Of course he's gonna win the whole thing so it doesn't really matter!!

You watched Rock Star last year didn't you? My wife was in Nashville this past Monday and Tuesday and ran into Marty Casey at the hotel she was staying at. Although I wasn't too crazy about the whole premise of the show, I really liked Marty. Pretty cool.

Yes sir, Mr. b-f...I didn't realize the difference in air times.

Why is it that apparently every one around the world can watch American Idol, but I've never seen another version of it? I'd love to be able to watch other Idols. Damned appropriating Americans. We love to take stuff, put our name on it and act like we never stole the idea in the first place.

Well, I believe it (the format) originated in the UK. The same production company transplanted it into the USA; hence the involvement of Simon Cowell. I'm not sure whether it would really work for you, seeing the UK version: it's really not that interesting. Your show, on the other hand, is just ...well..."weird" hardly does it justice...

What is funny (for me) is that your "pantomime villain", Simon Cowell... in almost any other context imaginable, I would class him as an irredeemable toss-pot. I wouldn't void my bladder on him if he were ablaze.

But here, repeatedly, time after time, again and again, I'm having to hand it to him for being absolutely spot-on. Your other judges , particularly Paula Abdooool, have a real problem with "telling it like it is". Cowell is the voice of reason in a bewilderingly barmy baboon-house.

Don't you find this "dog-pound" thing a total embarrassment? :confused:

You may be appalled to learn that I consider Idol to be "my insight into the American psyche" (I've not met many of you so i haven't alot else to go on). I mean if I were you, the idea that AI represented a microcosm of US society, upon which others based their perceptions of your nation; that would scare me....On the other hand, things could be worse, we might judge you on your government / foreign policy....but I digress wildly.

In a nutshell, it all looks totally freaky to me.

Young Kevin is, apparently , a "Sex Symbol" (and he kinda likes it!). What kind of girls are sending him their underwear???? Make hay while the sun shines, Kevin! ;)

On the odd occasion between Teletubbies, Postman Pat et al I do catch bits of American Idol. Unlike BF I have met quite a few Americans in my time - hell I've even been there on a couple of occasions, and my view is that the programme is a pastiche of Americana. It is unfortunate for you Americans that programmes like this exist and are exported, as the rest of the world see's these self-obsessed, pouting, obsessively christian 'cartoon' characters as representative, when in fact they are not.... You know that, I know that but the impressionable of the world do not...

Simon Cowell despite being a high-waisted devotee of Onan is by far the most credible judge IMO.

Regards

If you think about it, it is exported films, television etc that form racial stereotypes. We have Warty Owls, Benny Hill, Are You Being Served and others to thank for ours. Aussies have Neighbours & Home and Away, Japan has those extreme endurance shows....

I assume references to monkey-spanking are still allowed, as mine hasn't disappeared (yet)....

Regards

I'll tell you who I reckon has the nicest voice: Bucky.

He's not a great singer- misses too many notes. But when you hear him speaking. Aaaaaah! Lovely. And seems such a nice chap too...

Is that the accent of Charlotte NC? Is that what Daslied sounds like??? So cute...

Edited by Guest

i think the producers really want a male winner this year, since there's been three female winners in the past, and i think that reflects in the finalists the judges have chosen. the men are far stronger than the women.

elliott has the most amazing voice. he looks a little funny but if they fixed his teeth and pinned his ears he'd be more 'marketable'. personally i think his voice speaks for itself but that's how the world of entertainment works.

chris rocks!!! i like him better than bo bice. he's got really raw energy and looks like a rock star when he's onstage.

i love taylor - i think he's really cool and quirky. a little bit strange but he reminds me of ray charles, the way he holds himself. i want to hear him sing some bluegrass though.

as far as the girls go, i like paris and mandisa.

and thank god brenna is gone, she had far too much ego!!

I heard Bo Bice and Carrie Underwood in succession with their new songs. I'm sorry to say that Bo's song sounds way more manufactured and fake than Carrie's and his vocals are completely drowned out and it sounds like any run of the mill pop-rock song. :( To me...

Is that the accent of Charlotte NC? Is that what Daslied sounds like??? So cute...

I've never heard this guy, since I don't watch this show. But I can say that I'm pretty sure I don't sound a thing like him. I was born in Charlotte, yes, but I spent half of my life in South Florida. That was a nice way to rid me of any accent I may have had as a lad.

To answer another question - Simon Cowell was/is a record producer. I believe he is the cad responsible for Westlife. I agree that he is the most consistently right about peoples' abilities.

To respond to another statement - BF, you say you base your opinion of America on Idol. You're probably not too far off the mark. Everyone here thinks they're talented and that a desire for something means they're entitled to it. I want very badly to fly, but it's not going to happen. As it happens, I base my entire opinion of Brits on Eric Idle (namely from "European Vacation"). Am I close?